Buying O'day 272 1986

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 10, 2012
Wanting to buy above sailboat, but inspection said all chain plates need to be re-beded. He also said that it needed some gel coat replaced around traveler. Boat seems right for us, worried about repair cost.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
You can do the chainplates yourself. Very easy, many threads here about it, and pretty much a no-brainer. A great way to learn about your new boat. Google boat chainplates and you'll have weeks of reading. Good luck.

Jan 10, 2012
Owner is redoing chainplates and installing automatic bildge. Got a price on bringing the electrical up to standards, so hopefuly I will buy it!

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Did the survey say anything about the bulkheads or the deck core around the chain-plates being wet?

Jun 29, 2010
Yes it did
Is that being addressed? Bad things can happen if the chain-plate tears through a rotted bulkhead....... I am going to be replacing my bulkheads just for that reason.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Is that being addressed? Bad things can happen if the chain-plate tears through a rotted bulkhead....... I am going to be replacing my bulkheads just for that reason.
You mean like this?? If you look between my buddies feet about 2 feet in front of his toes, you will see the boats (Oday 23) port chainplate that PULLED STRAIGHT THRU the deck. The bulkhead was dry rotted. He was heeling the boat with the halyard when the mast came down.

Jun 29, 2010
Dang JD. If I wasn't motivated properly to do it right the first time on my boat, I sure am now. My PO told me he reinforced the rotted bulkhead and sailed with no worries last year. Grand kids, great grand kids, no problem..... I will be posting the starting of the project on my blog and all can see how bad the bulkhead is and how ridiculous his "fix" was...... There is a story in how I came to deal with all this on my blog too but.... I have the boat now and will fix her properly.

Jan 10, 2012
That looks bad. I didn't get to see it today and don't know if owner got work on boat. If he doesn't fix it I will learn how. That is also the reason to purchase, to learn owner level repairs. That and it's supposed to sail well in light air.

Sep 25, 2008
Oday 25 Gibraltar
You mean like this?? If you look between my buddies feet about 2 feet in front of his toes, you will see the boats (Oday 23) port chainplate that PULLED STRAIGHT THRU the deck. The bulkhead was dry rotted. He was heeling the boat with the halyard when the mast came down.

How lucky he was that it happened where it did.

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
Port and starboard bulkheads are in my garage presently. First year with my boat, I reinforced them with backing plates, but it never made me feel very good about them. I also considered extending the chainplates so that they could be in better wood, but just decided to pull and replace them. When I bought it, a guy I know who has a 25 said, "It's a matter of when, not if you replace your bulkheads.

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
Bulkheads are the plywood "walls" inside the cabin. Look at the left side of this picture- you can see the chainplate, bolted to the port side bulkhead. They are a particular problem point for older boats because water leaks through the deck and can soften the attachment point.

Jan 10, 2012
It said that there was signs of water at the bottom of one of the bulkheads. Otherwise they are good. If weather is nice will check again saturday and take pictures. Might need sails and to replace front hatch. Is hatch hard to install? These are questions from wife who will be the decider!

Oct 2, 2008
Island Packet 31 Brunswick, Ga
Cabasa 83 said:
The inspection mentioned bulkheads but I'm not sure what the bulkheads are.
What r bulkheads? Now come on google it or at least use a dictionary! No seriously we were all there at on time. If you r serious then purchase a couple of things. 1. A subscription to good old boat magazine, And 2. The bible of good old boaters, don Casey's "This old boat". Google some basic things like sailboat rigging to help begin to learn the lingo.
As u probably know, u will need a lot of money, and a lot of tools, supplies, patience and spare time. But it is fun and rewarding. But just know what u r getting into. All boats r jealous mistresses.

Jun 29, 2010
It said that there was signs of water at the bottom of one of the bulkheads. Otherwise they are good. If weather is nice will check again saturday and take pictures. Might need sails and to replace front hatch. Is hatch hard to install? These are questions from wife who will be the decider!
Find out where the water is coming from so it doesn't get any worse. Maybe it is from the hatch you need to replace but, it could be from most anywhere. Shouldn't be too big of a deal to do the hatch, search around here or Google it and you will find the info you need.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
What r bulkheads? Now come on google it or at least use a dictionary! No seriously we were all there at on time. If you r serious then purchase a couple of things. ...
While somewhat harsh (perhaps) there is some merit in the concept of doing some research. In addition to books, there are some very good websites that include information that would helpful to you.

One of the good basics is this one: http://www.boatsafe.com/

For instance, I just Googled "sailboat parts names" and there are lots of hits on just what you are asking for.

Good luck, hope it all works out for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.