Buying a Trailer Cruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Buying a boat, Keeping a Wife

What a previous poster said, something about taking your wife's opinion into account (or maybe getting the boat she wants) is an excellent idea.

Wife that likes to pack everything along: There are some like that and I've got one. We're talking pickup truck loads!

Trailerable boat book: There is a somewhat recent book out about trailerable boats. Well, maybe in the last couple years or so. That might be a good resource while you're looking.

San Juan: There are two San Juan boats - one a local design from, I think, the Tacoma area, and the other a Southern California design/manufacturer. One has more of a trunk cabin and the other more of a streamlined cabin. The one with the trunk cabin looks more "cruiser" like and I *think* is the Tacoma one.

Mast setting: When checking out the different boats, be sure to find out about how the mast is set and be very sure to find out how difficult it is to set it. At one point several years ago I was looking at a Catalina 25 and they come with a standard rig and a tall rig. The tall rig ones, even though they are only a couple feet taller (or so), are more difficult to set.

Northwest boat: If you've already been sailing then you know the wind here varies from drifter to industrial strength. My recommendation would be to go for something that can handle that range. If you plan to sail saltwater then consider a fixed keel or something that will provide the stability of one. Secondly, a tall rig for the light wind days otherwise you'll be motoring and that means carrying fuel along - either in containers or in an on-board fuel tank.

And speaking of drifter vs industrial strength, it's easy to get both within a relatively few minutes as the wind follows channels much like water does. Go from the lee of a protected land mass and abeam a valley where the wind is channeled and you go from light wind to heavy wind. So one really needs to prepare for both situations. Having a boat that can handle the heavier winds is a good idea.

Sails: On a used boat the sails can be blown-out and baggy. This will make for uncomfortable sailing as the boat will heel in light gusts. Be sure to take sail replacement costs into account when buying the used boat. They aren't cheap.

Dec 25, 2009
American 26 & MFG Challenger 12 American 8.0, Challenger 12 Lake Pepin, Wisc.
Raocon,

I got my first taste of sailing in Puget Sound down in the Tacoma area, back in 90-92, It was just a taste, over the years after moving back to the Mid West, I kind of forgot about it untill 2009. Then I discovered "Around the world alone" by Joshua Slocum. It got my juices flowing again. I started shopping for a boat in August of 2009 after my wife and I went over to an in the water Sailboat Show to show off the newest boats in the Waukegun, Ill. area. I was thinking in terms of 30-40' after missing a couple of boats that I put bids on, (I am glad I missed them) because after finding out the ancillary cost ot just owning one, slip, winter storage etc. It was abundantly clear to me that I really didn't want a boat that had to live in a Marina.

So, started my hunt for a trailer boat. After combing the internet and ebay and craig's list I found mine in Des Moines Iowa of all places. It was a 26' American that had lived in a Garage for the past 23 years. Before find it, I had looked and called on dozens of boats, around the Mid West within 500 miles of home. My boat is a 78' somewhat older than your cutoff date. It was in excellent condition. I have put about $1500 into it so far with about another $1500 to go. Here is the kicker. I only paid $1500 for it including the trailer.

Here is a link to my pictures of it and my blog.

http://sports.webshots.com/album/576734303qkPIkj

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/theadventure/

Just a note. My wife and I looked at a beautiful 27' Tartan 1976 in the Marina next slip over from our boat last weekend. Goregeous boat in all respects. It is for sale. My point is that in any given Marina approximately 1/3 of the boats are forsale. Just not listed anywhere. Some times there are boats available for a song.

Our boat was being sold as part of an Estate Sale. They just wanted it gone and the cash in hand.

Turn over every rock, there is a boat out there with your name on it.

Regards,

Tom...

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Well shiver me timbers...

... that's a nice collection of project photos, Tom. What's all that white stuff everywhere? Makes me shiver just looking at the pictures.

You didn't mention it in your post but did you buy a new tow vehicle with the money you saved? Good lookin' rig!

Also, noticed the nesting dingy (good looking project) and the Whitehall skif. Really noticed the Whitehall!!! That's some row boat! Six oar locks. I'll bet it would go well if it had a sail rig too. Didn't notice a centerboard trunk.

Oct 19, 2006
Hunter 27-3 Brownsville, VT/Mystic, CT
Voted for H23.5

Haven't seen any of us loyal 23.5 owners chiming in. We love our gal & you can certainly find one tricked out nicely for well below $10k.

What we like most is the hull flows directly into the coachroof. There are no sidedecks -- if you want to go forward, you just go over the coachroof -- but what that means is you gain lots of headroom/cabin space. We were struck by how open & well-lit the cabin was. We cruise with two young teens & there's still enough room for everyone. We love the swing keel, which allows us to cosy up to shore for a nearly dry footed landing (see the album of this season's adventures on my profile page). Add that you leave 1000 lbs of ballast (water) at the ramp -- which means you can haul more boat than a leaded keel model, all other things being equal -- and for the money, you are getting a lot of boat!

If you poke around in the Smaller Boats section of the Hunter Owners Forums, you will find many happy 23.5 owners in lively discussion. You can also review the archives for numerous threads by potential owners who got very frank & honest feedback.

I would also direct your attention to her bigger sister, the 26, rather than the 25.5. I'm guessing you are looking at the 25.5 due to cost, but the fixed lead keel does make her a bit harder to launch & heavier to tow. With another season pretty much in the books -- and an uncertain outlook for the economy -- I'm thinking those 26 models have depreciated enough to where you could find one in or near your price range.

Regardless, keep up the shopping & thinking. Some of the best advice I ever got when shopping was: Buy the best boat you can for the money you have. Don't buy a beater thinking you'll save money because if you add up the time & expense of repair, you would have been better off buying a better boat to start... Plus you will have been on the water instead of on the hard! So pry open that wallet, take the plunge & start making some great memories!

Good luck!

raocon

Aug 28, 2010
Soon to buy Soon to buy Tacoma
Raocon,

We'd love to have you join us here in Havasu Feb 14th thru the 21st 2011...we are now up to 83 boats registered. We'll have social, sailing, and seminar events daily.....................

Sean
Havasu Pocket Cruisers

www.sailhavasu.com
I think Sean, Don, and the Havasu event website have convinced me to come down in Feb!! This event and all the extras sound like a great vacation!! And my Seattle in Feb is..........well, cold and wet. So 75 degrees, water, sailing, and learning more about the pocket cruiser I want to buy sounds like a wonderful new adventure!!

Thanks Don and Sean!

Rob Olsen
Lake Havasu Bound!

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
Haven't seen any of us loyal 23.5 owners chiming in.

Another one here. It's a great combination of room and trailerability. It has lots of interior room for it's size. It sails well, and has proven to be more sea worthy than it's owners :) There's a video out of an attempt to capsize one (check the archives of the small boat hunter owner's forum). There are times I've thought I might want a larger, heavier, more substantial boat with more classic lines, but there are always compromises. We can take our 23.5 to other lakes when we want, can tow it with a Dodge Dakota, and don't have to worry about winter storage fees. We finally had to pull it from our marina slip last weekend, and it'll sit in our yard 'til spring. You could probably find a good enough deal on a 23.5 that you could resell it in a couple of years for what you bought it for If your needs change.

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Rob....Glad your coming to the Lake Havasu Pocket Cruiser Event! Look me up when your there, and be sure to bring the wife so she can see the different boats as well. Where else can you compare Mac's, O'day's, Catalina's, Potter's, Mongomery's, Venture's, Compac's, Hunter's, and others all in the water, and all at the same place! Besides having a lot of fun! By the way, there are now 107 boats registered and the event is 3 1/2 months away!

See you there!

Don

Oct 23, 2010
Balboa 26 Ridgway CO
Rob, The Balboa 26 ended production prior to your cut off date but this Lyle Hess design is a great coastal cruiser. Stout and sea worthy. Great in heavy weather and a mover in light air. The 70's brought to us some good craftmanship and designs and very solid fiberglass sailboats. It's not the year a boat was built but the care and maintaince it received throughout it's lifetime. The Balboa 26 has a good cabin for cruising, is trailerable and has withstood the test of time. As with any used boat close inspection of all fittings, rigging and keel attachments is of the most importance. Don't dismiss a well kept older boat that may fit your needs and budget.
BH "Easter Tide" 1976 Balboa 26 #778

May 4, 2010
Oday 26 Pensacola
Don't have a lot of time but will comment as I have owned three trailerable boats; 1974 swing keel Helson 22, 1986 Hunter fixed keel 25.5, and now a 1986 Oday 26 swing keel. I would not give up the options available to a trailerable boat.....I love it. The Hunter fixed keel sailed the best but was certianly the hardest to trailer and launch. It also did not allow me to approach shallow waters. I love my (new to me) Oday 26.....I bought the 26 over a 25 as the extra foot is in the cockpit area and sooo useful. The stub keel and swing feature of the Oday 26 is what sold me......along with the fact this one was in excellent shape.....even better now. Bought from George Dvorak in Phoenix

Though the trailer (three axle) is a bit heavy I towed it with a Dodge Dakota (my second one of those) from New Mexico to Pensacola without any problems. I now have a Honda Ridgeline and it tows just fine also..... I have had it with Chrysler products though I grew up a Richard Petty fan and loved Plymonth.

Oct 23, 2010
Balboa 26 Ridgway CO
Ahoy Rob,
Check out sailingtexas.com. Look in the photo gallery. There you will find most all the sailboats that are being discussed here, complete w/ specs, photos and prices. Just a FYI...The research is half the fun !!! The best choice for your needs is the most important choice you'll make.
BH...Easter Tide

Oct 29, 2010
Paceship PY-23 Fowl River - Mobile Bay
Roacon,

Beautiful area up there. I spent a week up there last spring. I am a bit curious about your boat age limits. There are some really great boats that you have ruled out. I am currently sailing a PY 23 (1973) and it is a wonderful boat in great shape. I have also owned several others about that age, a Santana 21, a South Coast 23 come to mind. Oday, had some sturdy boats. San Juan had some lightweight but faster boats. Pearson built them right. Catalina certainly built a lot of them. I am not a great fan of the Mac or the Hunter. Avoid the South Coast. The Santana is a great boat, a bit light, but has the speed. I certainly love the PY 23. The boat is dry, (Good for your area) well built and handles well. The Precisions are great boats. I always liked those. There is also a Precision 21. They had some unique design features that make for a roomy little boat. Compaq also had some great boats.

In your area with a boat that size you would probably spend a lot of time on the lakes, rather than the Sound. Nothing at all wrong with that. Lake Union in particular is great. The sound was a bit stiff while I was there. Boats of that size are fairly easy to maintain. Simple electrical systems. Sail cost is not too bad. Paint cost again is not too bad. Easy to rig and handle alone if need be. Outboard motors can be a pain, but are easily replaced.

As mentioned before, if you are planning on sailing on the Puget Sound, you would be better off with a bigger boat. Remember that the initial cost is just the beginning. Count on spending at least a couple thousand a year on maintenance and goodies. If you keep the boat on a trailer that can be cut quite a bit. I bought Dream Girl for $3500 and spend at least $2000 per year in upkeep. The boat was in very good condition when I bought her. Keeping her that way is priority no. 2. Sailing is no. 1. Bottom paint, slip rent, sails, bright work, electronics, the list goes on.

Good luck and enjoy.

Oct 12, 2009
Catalina 22 Buffalo
Roacon,
Great advise from the guys talking about making sure your wife is satisfied. You have the tow capacity so consider going bigger than not.

I bought my Catalina 22 before I met my wife. I prepped it and we took it for our honeymoon on Lake Ontario- had a great time and stayed in downtown Toronto on the Toronto Islands for almost a week.

Fast forward 6 or 7 years, we came across a Catalina 25 (my dream boat) for sale only a couple miles from our house. We looked at it with a fine tooth comb and began our decision making process. There is no argument that will overcome, "but we took our honeymoon on her." We still have our lovely Catalina 22.

That Lake Havasu event looks like a must do for anyone who can get there. I am unable and will be envious of everyone there. Good luck and have fun with your boat quest!

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Racoon

I've chartered a Rhodes 22'. If I could afford it, THAT would be my boat.

If you can afford one in good shape, I'd give that serious consideration.

:)

Feb 23, 2010
Oday 240 Bronte, ON
I went through the process that you are going through last winter. My short list included the Beneteau 235 and Schock 23. I am attracted to boats on the performance end of the cruising spectrum. There aren't many of either of these two boats in Canada. I ended up with an Oday 240. Lots of room, and enclosed head, a decent PHRF number for it's size and built in the mid/late 80's. It has a wing keel and I can launch it myself. For getting it out of the water, I use a crane. I have been very impressed with it's of off wind speed and, given that it has a winged keel, surprised at it's windward performance.

Second chances in this process are expensive. If you get good sails and a good motor then consider it a bonus, otherwise plan on replacing them. If you have to wonder if buying a particular boat is a good idea then it isn't.

Good Luck and enjoy the ride.

Dec 5, 2010
Oday 25 Okmulgee
When she is happy everybody is happy! I am looking at an Oday 25 I may expand my list to hunter. Like you I want to be at the lake more than thinking about it. I dont mind doing some work, it is a good way to get to know your boat, but not to much. From what I have seen 10 should do that.
Rob

jpniel

Dec 29, 2010
Oday 25, centerboard / sloop Chicago, IL.
Hi I'm new to this site today. I had a very similar list in 97 when I was looking for a trailer-able pocket cruiser. I was on 27 boats that year. I also had a list of must haves. Chief among them was an inboard diesel. I'd seen the outboard on previous boats both go under or cavitate, pull prop out (or near out) of the water causing the engine to quit in the former or race wildly in the latter. I planned to and do sail somewhat at the edge of the capabilities of a small coastal cruiser.So the diesel with balmar 60amp upgrade to the charging system was also important to allow cruising without having need of shore power to keep 1800 amp hr battery bank hot.
The O'day 25,cb, I found was pristine.
I'd be looking for a quality; engine,serviceable sails roller with a foil in front and a main w/at least one reef point, head rather than portta potty, good ground tackle w/bow roller. Tandem axle trl. in that order.
I pull mine w/ a 94,Ram 2500 HD,588 cu in V-10 w/allison trans and Dana rear-end overkill I know but I drove big trucks for 40 yrs. I'll pay for the ponies upfront. You should be fine with a Suburban. Trans cooler is a big +. I cross a lot of Mountains in my travels.
One last but prolly the best if you buy any sort of trailerable boat. Check out....

trailorsailorsassn.org

Good luck,

Dec 8, 2007
-mac 26M -26M tucson-san carlos mx
jpniel how in the heck did you fit twenty batteries on a 25 foot boat ???

Oct 12, 2009
Catalina 22 Buffalo
Jim,

Be careful with accuracy when directing to websites. The T/SA website is www.trailersailors.org

If you do trailer and have a desire to join an interest group, we are always looking for new members.

Derek

One last but prolly the best if you buy any sort of trailerable boat. Check out....

trailorsailorsassn.org

Good luck,

Jan 2, 2011
Com-Pac 23 Morro Bay, CA
Check out a Com-Pac23. I sail one regularly on San Francisco Bay and it handles it well. It is a good solid, well built boat, lots of room in the v-berth and has a huge cockpit. It feels like a much larger boat on the water. On the trailer you'd be pulling close to 4,000 pounds. Certainly one to consider and there are a few diesel ones around.

Status
Not open for further replies.