Buying a seidelmann 299

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 25, 2007
- - houston tx
Hello to all, I am looking at purchasing a Seidelmann 299 and am curious about any blue water racing. Just havent found much info on the boat its self but I love it. There is a race yearly from galveston Tx to veracruz and just want to make sure it will hold up in blue water seas????????? I have read that thry are very fast and everyone seems to have a lot of fun on them but the majority I read about are lakes. Any info would be great or web sites with more info Im not a good surfer ha ha ha Thanks Jeff

Jul 10, 2006
- - Jax,Fla
299 Seidelmann

Jeff; It is not the size of vessel, but the size of the Capt./If you have good sailing skills/plus offshore experience and good common sense, and a well fonded vessel,you can sail a J24 to most anywhere.I had a Ranger 29 in the 70's and early 80's and sailed it offshore in all manner of wind and seas.While it is not prudent seamanship to venture offshore if a Hurricane is predicted...most other winds/seas you will see are a product of a few days of weather.Trust me ,you will give up well before your vessel does.A Seidelmann 299 can handle anything you have the cahonees to put it to. Hope this will put your mind at easy.......go sail your boat!You will gain no experience at the dock! Cheers- CaptHawk ROGUEWAVE

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
Agree

I agree with Capt.Jax. The Seidelmans are well built, sturdy boats. I have no direct knowledge of the 299, but I do have a S37, at this time. Good boat. My previous ride was an S2. A 28er. I lived in far S.Texas, and sailed that boat offshore a lot. I would think your 299 would do at least as good as the S2. Go for it.The boat will be fine. Be prepared for some breezy winds down that way. Seems to be always a wind blowing down there, and some fairly lumpy seas. Best I can figure out the gulf loop comes in pretty close down that way, resulting in much more seas than you would expect. Also watch the currents very carefully, as they can really boost you along, or stall you out completely.

J

Jeff108

seidelmann 299

nice and easy thank you for your input it is much appreciated and yes the wind and water in the gulf is very unussual. again thanks Jeff

J

jeff108

seidlemann 299

Capt Hawk, Just wanted to thank you for the info u had and to let you know im a rocker not a docker ha ha ha I have not had a lot of blue water experiance but plan on getting a lot in the very near future. Just had not heard much about seidelmann and u can never be to careful , again thanks for the input. Jeff

Jul 10, 2006
- - Jax,Fla
No Problemo! Rocker!!!

Jeff; You sound like the intelligent adventurous type.....it is good to get some intel before the assault on Mother Nature.....but live your dream! Go for the gusto......you will be OK in a Seidelmann 299 [or any yacht you find] to take you to that dream. Look to the propper care of the rig/hull/etc. and listen to the wisdom of those who have gone before you on line and on your dock.I can give you a name/phone # of a great blue water Capt. in the Galviston area who is a long time friend and big water cruiser with many a mile in the Texas Gulf Coast PLUS way beyond.... should you want to talk to him.... eMail me back.One way to get some offshore racing experience is to sign on to a local go-fast boat to get that offshore knowledge[this is how I started to gain the time and experience] on high dollar offshore race boats and I did not have to pay for it!!Thank you for the questions; many owners on this web, such as NicenEasy [among others] have years of experience on Seidelmann yachts and have a vast amount of information, they, as I ,are always here to help those who want to learn & live a dream of sailing their yachts ...fair winds, following seas & good sailing! "put a little cap'n inya" CaptHawkHawkins RogueWave/Seidelmann34

Sep 4, 2007
Seidelmann S299 New Brunswick Canada
S299 Me as well

Hi Jeff, I am also a new proud owner of a 1980 S299. I bought it in Connecicut and sailed it back to the Bay of Fundy Canada. Great boat although the seas were rather calm in August. I can't help you much with your request about Blue water sailing, but I am here if you have other questions on the boat. I am planning on re-installing a proper head, and water system this winter, plus a roller furling. Good Luck, Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.