Buying a new Beneteau 311

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bill

To Anyone out there: I am considering buying a new 311. I have been looking into various articles on the net about the boat. What I would appreciate is any first hand comments ( pro or con ) by owners and learn if they would recommend this model. All so, I would like to know if they liked working with the company and if they felt that the customer service was sufficient. Thanks for any help, Bill

P

Paul Daly

Beneteau v. the other brands

Bill, I am a proud owner of a new 361. I almost bought a Hunter last year, the 356. My message is that they are all great boats for the typical sailor. Coastal work, they all do the job well. The Beneteau has a grid system that is well reputed and ties all loads together. Hunters are very well made too. Although at times people frown, imho, incorrectly at their quality which has made huge strides in past years. The difference for me is based upon my interior work and specific use of the boat. My B361 has joinery work that is unmatched by the Hunter 356 in all areas of the boat. As to use, I will be sailing mine offshore in some west coast races, Transpac (did the 2003 race and will use this 361 in 2005 if all goes well), Pacific Cup, Sionglehanded Transpac during the next 4-8 years. Fact is, you just don't see many Hunters doing these races. There is likely a reason. Its not coincidence. It may be due to the B&R tripod rigs of the Hunters where the Beneteaus have more traditional rigs, with some reduncy, like a split backstay system, one to each corner of the transom to allow boarding on the stern sugar scoop. Fact is it depends on your use imho. As to the 331 versus the 311, versus the 361 etc. they are all great boats and hope you find your 331 meets all your needs. I have a family of 5, 3 children and a wife. To sleep onthe boat, I wanted a bit more room. I bought the most boat I could afford withthe knowledge that you will always be glad you did. Fair winds! Paul

D

Dr. Bob Brown

Buying a new 311

My 311 is now six months old and warranty work has been completed. The major item was the water tank. Its front wasn't properly supported; during some short chop on Mississippi Sound the front dropped and this allowed the rear of the tank to move aft. This partially obscured the knotmeter sensor making it difficult or nearly impossible to remove it and clean it. The fix was to laminate a new floor under the forward part of the tank. If you add batteries, make sure the terminals are insulated properly. I added Hella fans (3) and one of them was badly balanced, vibrating noisily. All good now. Dealer was Murray Yacht Sales of New Orleans; owner Stanton Murray was most helpful and cooperative. I have nothing but good things to say about him and his salesman in Mobile, Jeff Comer.

M

mike g

311?

I considered a 311 but I did not like the cabin layout and the head room in the cabin is small. I bought a 321. There is a lot of cost cutting in Beneteaus construction compared to boats constructed 15 -20 years ago. Hunter and others are doing the same thing. Beneteau customer service is so-so. They will not talk to you directly. They want an Email or letter in order to address any issues. If you buy a Beneteau, you need to find a good dealer that is willing to answer your questions.

B

BILL TRIPP

Beneteau

I bought a 393 for the space and the dealer and factory have been excellent. I have spoken directly to the factory and their support was great.

M

mike g

BILL TRIPP

Bill, You must have more pull with a 393. On the occasions that I have called Beneteau, the operator listened to my request then she forwarded me to a recording that instructs me to email or snail mail my question/concern. To be fair, Beneteau was responsive to my emails.

T

Tom

The 311 is a great boat.

Bill, I had a 311 for two years and had a great time. It is a great value. I decided to sell it this winter to get a Beneteau 361. I wanted more room and the interest rates were too good to past. The interior was top notch but the aft cabin in the 311 was like sleeping in a coffin which I didn't care for. The 311 sailed great. I sailed all around the Chesapeake with her. I did a lot of comparisons between the Catalinas, Hunters and Beneteaus before I bought the 311 and the 311 came up as the best quality boat for the money. The Hunters were cheaper but the quality of workmanship was really low. I looked at the Hunters at the Annapolis Boat Show and they didn't appear to put together the best. The Catalinas were more expensive and the quality was as good as the Beneteau but their boats seem to be designed for just a couple. I have two boys that are getting bigger everyday. My 13 year old is 6'1". I keep telling him that when he gets his million dollar contract in the NBA he can buy me a Beneteau 57. I have had no service problems. The dealer in Annapolis, AYS, has been great. They replaced the head free of charge when it developed problems and the warranty had expired. Thanks, Tom

R

Richard

Tom - No Problem?

Tom, I'm betting I know the boat you're talking about, I have it under contract. Would you care to pass on any more information about her? My email address is bgriffondog@yahoo.com. I'd be grateful. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.