Buying a Cat 38'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pat Reynolds

I am looking at a Cat 38 that my girl and I will live on at times. It is the Yankee design from 1982. I own a Cat 30 now and am wondering if anyone has any knowledge of that year and design. It's in good shape and is asking around 50k. It has furling jib and main, which I don't have any experience with. How is the short-hand sailability? I very much like the astetics of the boat and being a Cat owner I feel comfortable with it. It sounds like the going rate for the year and model and I will get it surveyed if I decide to buy it, but would be interested in some first hand experience.

M

Michael McCann

Catalina 38

Pat; I have only read about the sailing character of the C38. The design is a Sparkman, and Stevens creation, and reportedly sails great, except has been said to be a handful when off the wind in following seas. Which is the same for all boats with these design parameters, and there are a few. I think they are beautiful to look at, especially compared to todays style. I think you will find it to be not all that much roomier below than your 30. Mike

R

Rodney Kidd

I Own One

Michael, I own a 1985 C-38. My wife and I liveaboard here in San Francisco Bay. The 38 is a great boat, built well, and they sail wonderfully. They will pass boats they shouldn't pass which is always fun. They are very weatherly but as the other reply said, they are a handfull downwind with the kite up. While it's true that the C-38 has a "stretched" C-30 interior, the interior is quite roomy. After all, the boat is 8 feet longer and has a max beam of 11' 10" which is a full foot wider than your C-30. We've regularly had 8 hungry sailors sit down to dinner in the saloon. The price sounds typical for the boat if it is in decent condition. Check out the C-38 website for more info. Pictures of my boat during its last haul-out are there along with lots of other information. Rodney Kidd C-38 #297, Flying Bear

R

Rod H

We live on ours

You will be pleased with the pointing ability, although we have the full batten main, which may make a difference. With the roller furler she should be easy to short hand. The wife and I sail with just the 2 of us all the time. Is the mainsail furled into the boom? We are preparing ours for a cruise to Panama from Los Angeles. The tankage is a little short for water and fuel, but there is room for more. Make sure you get the most for your money because there are quite a few for sale right now. If you want to e-mail me, I could arrange to take you sailing on ours. headleerp@earthlink.net

D

Dave

Fiercely Loyal owners

Pat, Most Catalina 38 owners are fiercely loyal to their boats. We love them and find few faults. The boat is a racer that will cruise well. She is unique, with lines that are recognizable at a distance. She will point higher than most and is a bit squirrley downwind ... kind of like a beachball with a rudder... The accommodations are certainly comfortable for 2 BUT we have had our racing crew of 7 stay aboard. When I was looking for my boat, both my rigger and a boat builder labeled the 38 as 'bullet-proof', with a sturdy rig and very well built. The boat builder went on to acquire one of his own! Do have a survey done on any boat you are considering. These boats ares now reaching an age where systems need to be rebuilt or replaced. But it is worth it!! As far as I know there are no inherent faults or retrofits that should be looked for. Fair Winds...

C

Craig Steinkraus

I agree.........

I have nothing specific to add to the previous replys with which I totally agree with. It's a great pointing boat, fast, and has great lines. We have had the boat in all the weather Lake Superor can throw at you, and all came though just fine. Altough tankage is a little small,it's a great buy. In a few years, we plan on living on ours.......in the Bahama's... Craig Steinkraus C-38 #280 "Wings"

W

wallace shakun

380-BUY

WE have a 380-hull 012 and it is a great boat. We keep it on a lake in GA and it sails great. Roomy inside and the diesel performs well. A furling main would be advised.

S

Scott Miller

We love it, but

In addition to the other comments, all of which are on the mark, be sure the furling gear is of fairly recent vintage, if you plan to use it for reefing and not just to store the sail. Also, there have been reports of the Edson cable steering failing after 20 years or so. It's hard to know if there is a problem lurking there. I plan to pull ours this winter and take a look. TACITA is an '83.

W

WALLACE SHAKUN

380 WEBB

THERE IS A 380 WEB PAGE TRY WWW.CATALINA380.ORG OR E MAIL CAPNPEFF@HOME.COM WEB HAS A GREAT DEAL OF DATA.

K

Keith

My Cat 38

I have had my 82 Cat 38 for almost 3 years. I singlehand it quite often, and my wife and I take it to Catalina Island frequently, some trips in 20 plus knots of wind and 5-6 foot seas. Easy boat to sail shorthanded if set up properly. I have raced and sailed on over 50 boats to Channel Islands, Mexico and Hawaii and the Cat 38 is probably one of the best. Fast boat, takes heavy weather well (sea kindly), and structurally sound. I plan to sail mine to Mexico and the Carribean in a few years. Will need to add water maker, and additional water tankage. I am in process of designing a new fuel tank for about 50 gallons, should get about 500 mile range at 6 knots, but then again I sail unless the boat speed drops under 3-4 knots.

R

Rodney Kidd

Confusion

A Catalina 38 and a Catalina 380 are completely different boats. The C-38 was originally designed by Sparkman

P

Pat Reynolds

Thank You

What A response! Thank you all for taking time to help. Especially for the 38/380 clarification. Happy Sails to all

T

Tom Yost

Cat 36

Just wanted to put my 2 cents in. We have had our 38 "Eagledancer" 8 years now. We were nearly talked out of buying it in the beging by our "friends". I didn't know why until we began to pass them by and head on into the sunset. We won't give up our 38 anytime sone. Its a great boat.

T

Tom Yost

Cat 38

Just wanted to put my 2 cents in. We have had our 38 "Eagledancer" 8 years now. We were nearly talked out of buying it in the beging by our "friends". I didn't know why until we began to pass them by and head on into the sunset. We won't give up our 38 anytime sone. Its a great boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.