Buying a Bristol 38

Dec 19, 2015
Bristol 38' St Augustine
Hi Guys, I'm new to the forum and in the process of buying a Bristol 38 for winter sailing in the Bahamas and the Caribbean.
I have no experience in Bristol 38's and any advice and info would be most welcome.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Welcome SailingPilot, Best Wishes as you enjoy your new boat! I have sailed boats that appear to be related to the Bristol you are buying. In sailboatdata.com there is information on your boat, and it appears to be built and/or designed by people who were responsible for the Wauquiez and the larger Pearson models.

I sailed on a friend's Wauquiez 40 in the upper Chesapeake Bay. That boat sailed wonderfully, but was very deep draft for the area where it was kept. The couple took the boat down the ICW to Ft Lauderdale one winter and lived on it for over a year. It had lots of sail adjustment and was a beamy boat that was comfortable to be aboard.

Another friend still owns a Pearson 38 in the same sailing area. Wonderful boat and even more comfortable than the Wauquiez. The Pearson is also a deep draft (about 6 feet) fin keel boat. It has a 3 cylinder Yanmar diesel that is very good for maneuvering that boat. Aft cabin, aft head, great main saloon with chart table and a very usable galley.

We have always admired Bristol Yachts from a distance and I am sure that your boat comes with a fine pedigree. The sailboatdata site shows a keel/CB underbody that will get you into shallower water. There are some people who would warn against the CB model for crossing large expanses of ocean, and there will probably be some noise at anchor as the board moves back and forth. (Actually, from side to side!)

Again, Best Wishes!

Dec 19, 2015
Bristol 38' St Augustine
Thank's for the input Seahorse, very useful info. I haven't actually bought the boat yet so there is time to change my mind. It's the center board design that attracted me to the boat for Bahama cruising, interesting to hear that this is not favored by ocean cruisers.
Cheers,

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
This is the boat I would have if I could afford it.
Ted Hood designed performance cruiser. A long list of New England yacht building traditional standards were part of the Bristol line. And the later decimals models became more and more refined, moving away from the stout yet utilitarian character of early Pearson, adding nautical charm, aesthetics, and ergonomics. Portuguese craftsmen, premium woods, hand built interiors, real teak and hollywood sole 1 1/8" thick, 3/4" bulkheads, encapsulated lead ballast, skeg hung rudders, decks and cabin top reinforced by the solid interiors, flanged deck joint through bolted, offshore hatches and port lights, bronze tapered cone seacocks, hull-fastened internal chain plates, keel stepped masts, and robust hardware and running gear. Yet fast and maneuverable.
The only issue I have re the 38.8 is the centerboard. The high keel might make her a little tender. Not a big deal I guess. Also the lifting gear and cable need to be monitored and maintained.
You will have to keep the exterior wood up, so that has to be part of the fun and beauty, otherwise it will be unpleasant.
Fantastic boat. Comfortable, good speed, stable, decent layout, modern features, well made.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Additional thoughts depending on the crew you plan to have aboard with you: Our friend recently bought a Power winch handle to use for raising the mainsail on his Pearson 38. We all joked at his purchase (calling it his Kitchen Aid mixer) until we saw the ease with which his mainsail could be raised with the charged winch handle. While you are still laughing think about your mast clearance required above the waterline. Not likely to be a problem while you are sailing the Bahamas, but if you use the ICW going south you might have some concern at places. I'm sure everyone with a boat in that size range has to give bridge clearance some consideration. RE: the keel/CB......We owned an Oday 30 which required a minimum 3 1/2 feet of water (or a bit more if the board would not raise completely into the stub), and we could lower its CB to 7 1/2 feet. The centerboard did make some noise as the boat rocked at anchor. The CB pennant also chose an inconvenient time to disconnect! We were in a canal system and could not reverse due to the board dragging on the canal bottom. Having scuba gear aboard can make those repairs and bottom cleaning or centerboard cleaning a bit less of a concern for you.

I'm sure the SBO members here will be interested in your boat choice and adventures. Keep us updated.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Keel/centerboard is a fine option..especially for sailing in the Bahamas..and the Gulf Coast. I have a lot of miles on a friend's Tartan 37 keel/centerboard (swing board?) ; When the boat was new, the board did bonk around a little but as part of the second bottom job, we shimmed it with large diameter Teflon washers. We also made some Teflon "lips" for the trunk to stop turbulence when the board is down.. They worked well for a few months until the first grounding; the bottom removed the strips and we never did replace them since any time it would have touched bottom, the strips would have been pried off..

Dec 19, 2015
Bristol 38' St Augustine
Hi Seahorse, also useful info thank you. Since I plan short handed sailing the mast winch idea could be useful! The boat I am looking at has a 58' mast so should be OK for the ICW.
Cheers,

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2015
Bristol 38' St Augustine
Thank's for the reply Kloudie, The noise coming from the center board keel does concern me and it's interesting to hear you experiences. I don't think it will put me off the boat as it does have a shallow draft when up.
Cheers.

Last edited: