buying a boat

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37 C sloop Punta Gorda FL
hello all right now the boat is sitting at a private residence in the water at cape coral ,Fl..... depending where I get my transfer to, then I will move the boat to a marina near work.... my wife and I have a plan B, C and d if we need it.... we have been discussing it for months now.... we are ready for this big change.... we know the boys will be moving on in a few years... until then we have our sailing crew.... when they move on, I have lots of friends who like to take vacations and plan to come from up north down to stay with us and go sailing .... everything I can put on the boat is what I want to keep... everything else I can live without.... my wife is use to a simple life, and few possessions, she is from china, and only been in USA since August when we got married.... it will be a big adjustment for me, but I am happy and willing to make the adjustment... my life long dream is to live on a sailboat and sail everywhere I want to go.... and before I am too old to make it come true, I am doing something about it now.... thanks for all the advice... I appreciate it.... maybe I will see some of you down in Florida and we can have a beer or wine and a good authentic Chinese festival meal together on my boat... sincerely Jess
Couple of thoughts on the Cape Coral area. Mooring balls $15 night, cheaper by the month at both Ft Myers and Ft Myers Beach. Dingy access in both places to your car and shopping etc. best anchorage on the west cost at Boca Grande Inlet Cayo Costa State Park. Good DIY boat yards off Charlotte Harbor. We used to live in Punta Gorda. PM me if you have questions about the area.

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
Do it, man. Do it quick. Life is short, too short. If it doesn't work out, do something else. But right now, chase that dream immediately.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
I can start a very long list of friends and acquaintances who are no longer here. Do it now, there is no promise of tomorrow.

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
Do it! The wife and I did almost 4 years, before my health caught up with me. It was the BEST 4 years of our life. Challenges - sure, adventure every day.

The best, listening to the rain, leaning 15-18 degrees at the slip when the wind and storms rolled through, reaching over to adjust the heat and air conditioning, the motion of the boat is the best sleep aid, ever. Memories of our time together, and Even the 1/4 mile round trip to the bath room was a pleasure. The people we met were almost always easy and pleasant.

You can always move the boat or simply turn it around in the slip for a "new" view.

Health can surprise you at any time and put a real kabosh on your plans.

Dec 7, 2012
Kittiwake 23, Irwin 43 .. Indianapolis / indianatown, fl
hello all

I did it... I signed the paperwork today and made the downpayment on it..... it is now my boat....

my wife has already started making plans for the boat.... she said she will hold me to our 1st big sail when I retire... I am suppose to sail her to her home country (CHINA)... we are hoping to sail to the Caribbean this summer when I get my vacation, but not sure if we will be ready at that point... I do know we will be sailing up and down the gulf coast of Florida whenever we can get away....

thanks for all the advice and encouragement... I will post pictures as I get some taken...

hope to see some of you out there too...

sincerely
Jess