Buying a Boat Outside Canada without a License ??

Feb 3, 2021
West Wight Potter 19 Lloydminster
As a Canadian, understanding that Canadians do not need a license to own/captain a personal sailboat, would I be able to buy a boat abroad and sail it internationally without a license?

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
We watch the channel Sailing JibSea and others featuring Canadians in Europe and none of them ever even mentioned licensing requirements.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
... because licensing bureaucracies make for such riveting TV... it must not be a thing...;):biggrin:
Well, Sailing Uma did spend some time discussing how a Haitian passport is not looked on favorably in European nations. Canadian passport? ... No problemo.

Sep 24, 2021
Beneteau 35s5 Telegraph hrbr Thetis Island
Actually since 2009 Canadians operating any powered pleasure craft must have a Pleasure Craft Operator's Card. (PCOC)
Compliance is not universal and enforcement is rather lax except in harbors and areas where tenders, runabouts and jetski types are used a lot.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
A simple search will yield lots of information if Europe is the destination. The big issue in Europe is VAT and visa.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I would think that a site like Victoria Harbour, might get a stop and board action by the locals if your skipper skills were in question. If you hit something, then the investigation would likely start with Registration and PCOC.

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
In Oregon yes depending upon what you call a license and who the authority that is asking you if you have one is.
You will need to either obtain an Oregon Boater Education Card, or have a card from any state that issues cards for NASBLA-approved courses. Check here to see if your card is approved: https://www.nasbla.org/nasblamain/education/reciprocity
Pretty much like that whatever state or country you go to. If the authority who thinks they have jurisdiction asks you for the papers. You need to know what papers you are required to have or the equivalent of same, but wouldn't necessarily be called a license.

Oct 22, 2014
The big issue in Europe is VAT and visa.
And the 90 day limit within 180 days on your stay in the Schengen Zone under a Tourist Visa. Then you must leave the EU for 90 days.

Attempts to exit a country or Schengen by "approved means of transport" (ferry, some trains, airlines) by anyone who has overstayed risk a fine, and a passport stamp "not permitted re-entry" for a period of time. Those who have no entry stamp will be treated as illegal immigrants, and may be detained. There's no such control if you exit by yacht, but if you intend to re-enter Schengen, make sure you record your exits with immigration - otherwise, you clock up an overstay. Slightly more detail on this subject.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
As a Canadian, understanding that Canadians do not need a license to own/captain a personal sailboat, would I be able to buy a boat abroad and sail it internationally without a license?
Far to generic of a question. Where are you thinking of buying, what international waters are you thinking of sailing?

dj

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Are you implying that I might have difficulty. I’m only a part time idiot.
The Canadian PCOC was initially focused on personal watercraft and younger ages. I figure you are fine... :biggrin:

Cound me in on the part time.idiot..
What's the phrase ? "We are all idiots for a short period each day.. the trick is minimizing that time period"

Oct 22, 2014
Now that you believe you are focused on the UK, you can do some serious research.
Here is a summary from a UK site.

That’s the easy part. You’ll next have to deal with the legal side and pay the VAT tax.

An if you plan to sail back across the Atlantic the Canadian Gov will want a piece of your wallet.

Perhaps once you become a sailor of seas, you just sail towards the sunset and declare your a person of all countries. A man of the sea.

Apr 27, 2010
Beneteau 352 Hull #276 Ontario
For those that part take in the port of Toronto ( Not visitors) also need a Harbour License to operate a vessel. The test is about 100 multiple choice questions and a vessel water test. I actually saw a person fail that part of the test. The instructor through a bumper overboard and yelled out man over board. The guy turned around and drove over it.