Buy or Pass?

Kper

Mar 12, 2014
Catalina 25 Iowa
Our Cat25 currently has the original Johnson 9.9 two stroke that is pretty tired and has been giving me some reliability issues. The admiral wants it to go and I've been looking for a used x-long shaft 4 stroke with no luck. I did, however, find another Johnson 9.9 with 10 hours on it that is in like new condition, at least visually, in Oregon and the owner says it was fogged 10 years ago and not run since for $500 plus whatever it may take to move it 1900 miles. I have family in the area (within 200 miles) who could take a look and pick it up but they know absolutely nothing about outboard motors so I'm left with the owners word on it's condition.

Am I crazy to pursue this and should I stick with my search for a 4 stroke?

Kper

Mar 12, 2014
Catalina 25 Iowa
The model number is J10RCOM.

Mine is model number J10SELCDB

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
The model number is J10RCOM.

Mine is model number J10SELCDB
This is from an Annapolis-area publication:
JOHNSON 9.9 OUTBOARD ENGINE [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]professionally maintained annually running well on a Catalina 27 now $900.Walter- 703-969-2048
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Kper

Mar 12, 2014
Catalina 25 Iowa
I think that's what I secretly wanted somebody to tell me, although I need electric start due to a bum shoulder. I think that puts me at a 9.8 or 9.9. I figure a couple grand since I can't locate any 4 stokes close enough to look at.

Sep 26, 2008
- - Noank CT.
My opinion for what it is worth, $500 plus freight and crating charges (another $300) and at best you have a decent 10 plus year old engine. At worst you got junk. Quite frankly the engine is worth $500 dollars but you pushed the price up with crating and freight. It not like you are getting a $500 engine for $250. Two strokes are on the way out, (except the new e tec evinrude engines) So try and save up ,maybe get one more season on old engine, and get a new four stroke. It won't be long before the carb compliance thing and exhaust emission will kill the old two strokes. Honda has been making 4 stroke outboards for over 30 years. You may want to check them out,new and used.Just my thoughts...........

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
My current sailboat came with a 4 stroke outboard. All of my previous boats had 2 strokers. I love the 4 stroke. Great on gas, very quiet and runs smoother.

Kper

Mar 12, 2014
Catalina 25 Iowa
I've put the 2 stroke on the back burner and eyeballing a used Suzuki 9.9 four stroke with power tilt & trim for my bad back. Now I'm wondering if my mount rated at 115lbs max will work with the Suzuki spec'd at 123lbs or if I need to upgrade that, also.

Mar 28, 2007
- - newburyport,ma/Peaks Island, me
On a motor that old even though it is not broken in yet it will need the lower crank case seal replaced, because it has been run. They dry out from the fuel/oil mix sitting on them.