butyl caulking

Jun 26, 2004
Hunter 41DS Reed Point Marina
on hunter 41 DS and 44DS. there is a gap between the coach roof( hangs overhangs the house) and the roof of the house all the way around. I find that it constantly gets plugged with dirt and debris and is hard to cleanout. I am contemplating filling that gap with butyl caulking, kind of like the caulking that is placed between teak boards on a teak deck. Has anyone done this?. thoughts on the subject? thanks

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
You'll find that butyl is a sealant and not a caulk but a sealant. The stuff between teak floorboards is definitely not butyl. The crap and corruption you are now forced to periodically remove will actually be stuck to the butyl and be near impossible to remove once embedded.

I have a similar problem with a gap on my deck that needs re-caulking and I was looking at using Dow Corning 795 if I ever get around to to the job. The 795 does a beautiful, long term job of caulking around all of our Hunter hatch and portlights so it should do at least as good a job for other caulking requirememnts.

Jan 5, 2017
Hunter 356 SF Bay / Delta
I can't speak specifically to the 41DS, but would concur with Ralph on butyl. I love the stuff, but I don't think this is the right application.

Maybe something like 3M 4000 UV? That way it can be removed/reapplied somewhat easily in the future, unlike silicone-based 795.