Butchart Gardens

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
The Admiral and I have been to the Gardens several times over the years. We find it most enjoyable to clear at Sydney, then sail around Saanich Peninsula turning south to Butchart Cove. There used to be only four mooring balls, but now they have six, all with shore tie rings. If all the moorings are occupied, you can continue on a short distance into Todd Inlet where there is good anchorage and a feeling of floating on an alpine lake. The Cove is best because it is a short dingy row to the float plane dock providing easy Garden access.

On our way and due to the hour we stayed at a reciprocal dock at the North Saanich Yacht Club (Marina) for a couple of nights. While the admiral stayed on board with our four year old grandson, my oldest son and I enjoyed a few Lighthouse Race Rocks ales served up on tap at the Clubhouse. Best amber ale we have ever had that came with a very friendly group of fellow boaters. So sad to learn they do not distribute their ale into US waters.

The Garden staff had helped make everything especially gorgeous during the mid summer season. Each section (Japanese, Rose, etc.) was in full bloom, well groomed and moderately busy compared to other years. Anyone visiting the PNW, the Gardens is a must see.