Busy launch weekend photos -post yours!

Apr 5, 2018
Catalina Capri 25 Jackson
Currently snowing and the lake is iced over. I don't fancy my hand at being an ice breaker, but I can't wait to post the first splash pics

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
there is a freeking blizzard in Bayfield.
I love that bayfieldlive web cam! Had to check in and it looked like the trees with white flowers had all the flowers blown off. The grass is green and the sun is out. Looking closer, it's snow that hasn't quite melted yet. I'd guess that those flowering trees haven't even sprung flowers yet! Also, it looks like there still is ice between Bayfield & Madeline Is.

Good news for me, though! I stopped by Mariners today and found my bottom being painted. Looks like I'll be in my slip a week earlier than anticipated! I'll post a photo later.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
We’re on the list for a pre-splash slot in the boatyard and subsequent launch. Maybe two weeks out. Can’t do any cosmetic work on the boat while it’s in the parking lot of Treman State Park. Planned are power wash, VC17M bottom antifouling paint, and buffing above the waterline.

We’ve been suffering from cabin fever, so we launched another boat last weekend on the upper Hudson. 42 deg F water, 38 deg F air temp, snow blowing horizontal around Gore Mountain from the south at 25-30 knots. I was the water shield on starboard. Closest we’ve ever been to Hypothermia...what a hoot!

E02C7F95-5965-4A03-A5B2-2296C34483C6.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
IMG_4835.JPG

Here she is getting her coat of paint. She couldn't be any closer to the travel lift. This was my last opportunity to take bottom measurements for the polar diagram calculations. I was surprised to learn 2 things:
1. From Sailboatdata.com the LWL is 22.5'. I carefully measured 24'. The diagram on sailboatdata does seem to show the waterline significantly lower on the hull than my experience based on the boot stripe.
2. Same for the depth of keel. Published depth for shoal draft is 3'-7". I measure 3'-11".
The actual waterline, based on my experience every year, is just 1" below the boot stripe (top of bottom paint). I accounted for that.

IMG_4836.JPG

Still, very few boats in their slips so far. The standard slip rental runs from May 1st, but very few seem to go in by then. Assuming we are in by Saturday, we will be the first on the outer docks. Perhaps it is the wind. It has actually been howling on a near-constant basis. 20 knots through the rigging makes a lot of noise with all those boats exposed!

IMG_4841.JPG

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
It's been a busy couple of weekends for me. New name on boat, shined up, got a weather window last weekend to get a coat of VC17 on. We launch on Monday. Only "minor" problem is that I learned how not to put messenger lines on my halyards last winter (first winter on the hard on windy Lake Erie). It's only the genoa and main :(. The good news is that we only have to find a way to make it up to the second spreader as there's 10-15' still left of messenger line up there on them both.
IMG_20190506_111134083_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I'll give you the Moon,...
Concordia moon.jpg

....and the Stars.
Concordia star.jpg

The Concordia Company started building their famous yawls with this unique insignia, in 1939.

The company commissioned 103 yawls between 1938 and 1969. A 'racer cruiser' in it's day spurred by this design brief: " ... a daysailer that could race and cruise in the choppy seas and heavy afternoon breezes of Buzzards Bay."

The 1960's signaled the end of the long run of yawls run. As soon as a design wins favor and races, competing designers begin creating boats that will beat it.

The next level was reached with Finisterre in the 50's, designed as a Concordia killer, which it did in the Bermuda race, 3 times in a row in fact.

Fidelio launched.jpg

But who won the long race? Looks like Concordia with about 100 boats still sailing today.
Spice aft moored (1 of 1).jpg

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I love that bayfieldlive web cam! Had to check in and it looked like the trees with white flowers had all the flowers blown off. The grass is green and the sun is out. Looking closer, it's snow that hasn't quite melted yet. I'd guess that those flowering trees haven't even sprung flowers yet! Also, it looks like there still is ice between Bayfield & Madeline Is.

Good news for me, though! I stopped by Mariners today and found my bottom being painted. Looks like I'll be in my slip a week earlier than anticipated! I'll post a photo later.

Bayfield yesterday. We have a regatta next weekend. I’m calling tactics on a Schock 35. Looks like it will be cold.

6F5E5BD8-28F2-4F9F-B35D-E8817DEEEC38.jpeg

Apr 21, 2014
Hunter 356 Middle River, MD
This year was WAY worse than prior years as my bottom paint adhesion problem came to a head and I decided to scrape and sand the bottom prior to painting. Maybe its the job or just getting older but I ache and am worn out. Marina will move the stands today, I can paint under them and splash on Tuesday.
Then its get all the systems up and running and raise the new North Sails (M&J) for the first time, gotta be easier than this last 2 weeks...
20190510_142744.jpg
20190519_201445.jpg

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Bayfield yesterday. We have a regatta next weekend. I’m calling tactics on a Schock 35. Looks like it will be cold.
Looks more like racing Artic Cats would be more appropriate. ;-)

Nov 8, 2010
Looks more like racing Artic Cats would be more appropriate. ;-)
Totally. I bet some of the locals got 'em out.

While the owner of the boat I'll be on was up doing some inside work, an entire competitive team was up for an on-the-water training session. They spent the entire weekend in the bar. Bayfield is a 4+ hour drive from Minneapolis, so this is not a casual trip!

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
We are still 5 feet above "pool" level, base of the crane three + feet underwater. Dumping water at about 4 inches a day but flooding rains predicted again all this week. No idea when we will launch but it's probably not for at least three weeks, I'm guessing.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
April 29 - Cold and drizzle in mid-Michigan (not unusual for this time of year). Ever try painting the pad areas with VC17 in the rain? The Admiral argued for delaying launch next year until second week of May, and we compromised on the first weekend. It's been a crazy spring, and I'm still waiting for those warm sunny days.
20190429 Launch.jpg

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Normally we can't see over this jetty behind our slip. I used my waders to get thru the parking lot and check on Bella yesterday.

20190511_152716.jpg

Nov 8, 2010
April 29 - Cold and drizzle in mid-Michigan (not unusual for this time of year). Ever try painting the pad areas with VC17 in the rain? The Admiral argued for delaying launch next year until second week of May, and we compromised on the first weekend. It's been a crazy spring, and I'm still waiting for those warm sunny days.
View attachment 165028
We are totally back-and-forth here as well. Last week it was sunny and in the 80s. We grilled and had cocktails on the boat as the sunset in our shorts.
7E01382F-CC50-4E51-9274-F09DA3CCEC4C.jpeg

0AA9D325-76B6-4743-B670-9AC7BCF7E2DE.jpeg

This weekend was cold and rainy with breeze into the 20s. They were using words like windchill on the radio. We got off easy, it snowed in Bayfield.

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
Put in on Friday. I really like how the fresh wax on the hull and new bottom paint shines in the evening sun.

Attachments

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
We'll be driving an extra 30 miles for the best sailing this summer :( . the powers that be have their head up their port hole so far this year that the lake didn't ever get filled, even though we had record rain and snow amounts this winter :cuss:
IMG_20190519_123707167_HDR.jpg

So yesterday we took advantage of an open house, commissioning, and blessing of the fleet day at another lake, which we've yet to sail. it's a bit more of a drive for us, but very impressed with the friendly welcome we received (or maybe they just want us for our money :biggrin: ) note that this lake is brim full :kick:

60989858_10214748208406428_1690440428387565568_n.jpg