Burner on stove won't stay lit

rbelau

Jun 29, 2014
Beneteau 47 Stonington, CT
We have a 2003 Beneteau 473. One of the burners on our 3-burner stove won't stay lit. It will light as long as you depress the burner valve, but as soon as you release it, it goes out. I've read online a bit and there appears to be something called a thermocouple that is involved in keeping a burner lit. If this is the culprit, anyone have experience replacing it?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
What stove do you have? If it is s Force 10 below is an excerpt from the manual on testing operation of thermocouple:

1592919995326.png

rbelau

Jun 29, 2014
The only markings on the stove are the Beneteau logo. But looking online at pictures of a Force 10 stove, they look similar. So perhaps Beneteau white-labeled Force 10 stoves.

Regardless, your trick worked! When I remove the knob and light by turning the stem, it stays lit. What do you suppose it means to "adjust the position of the knob on the valve stem"? I don't see how I can not seat the knob fully on the stem - I need to push it in to ignite the burner.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
There is a thermocouple of some sort within that front-panel knob assembly. Had to change mine once. Get a spare while you're at it.

Jun 2, 2011
Hunter H33 Port Credit Harbour, ON.
The only markings on the stove are the Beneteau logo. But looking online at pictures of a Force 10 stove, they look similar. So perhaps Beneteau white-labeled Force 10 stoves.

Regardless, your trick worked! When I remove the knob and light by turning the stem, it stays lit. What do you suppose it means to "adjust the position of the knob on the valve stem"? I don't see how I can not seat the knob fully on the stem - I need to push it in to ignite the burner.
Put a small washer in the hole of the knob. It will seat on the washer and allow the stem to fully deploy. The knob is probably contacting the stove face and holding the stem from being displaced to the point where the thermocouple can hold it in place.

Jun 10, 2019
Beneteau First 36.7 Marina Village, Alameda
"it is possible the the knob is contacting the faceplate"

That is what happens on one of the burners on the Force 10 in my 36.7. I've found a workaround. I set the burner to "light" and remove the knob. Depress the stem and igniter. Leave the stem depressed for 20 seconds and release. Then replace the knob and adjust the flame.

rbelau

Jun 29, 2014
I ended up packing a little bit of Aluminum foil in the back of the knob (where the valve shaft slides in) so that when fully depressed the knob does not hit the control panel. It’s now working! Thanks for the help everyone. (Didn’t need to replace the thermocouple).