Burglar Alarm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 1, 2009
Catalina 310 Sydney-Pittwater
It appears that the two legged variety of cockroaches is on the move again around our moorings.

Has anyone rigged an inexpensive intruder alarm on their boat? One of the important aspects would have to be the red blinking LED indicator, visible through the windows at night, similar to a car alarm. I am trying to modify a surplus smoke alarm (had to disconnect it because it told me the chicken was roasted before it actually was). It would be noisy enough to dissuade a person from remaining inside too long. However, the LED blinker light is not strong and not frequent enough.

Some of the guys here place alarm warning stickers on their boats. Not sure if that is a good idea-it may make it more attractive for undesirables when they go on their surveys during the day.

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
There are some camp alarms out there that look promising.

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 376 Warsash, England --
My System

My boat lives alongside a pontoon between two piles on a mid-stream mooring in mid river. There is zero security.
I have built and installed fitted a home made alarm which has household window type magnets and reed switch sensors on the main companionway and also on every locker lid. I filled the backs of the sensors with electrical grade silicone rubber.
On deck I have a xenon strobe flasher and a 110dB siren.
Below deck is another, concealed, siren. Consider trying to remove the boat's electronic equipment with 110dB going full blast - (I couldn't buy a louder one). Total cost was less than £40.
Circuit is extremely simple with a twin wire round the lockers. The reed switches are in a series loop and if any switch is opened it pulls in a relay via a single transistor - and this activates the flasher and sounders. There is a red flashing LED on the side of the companionway and quite a large label stating "This vessel is fitted with a Crofton Burglar Alarm". It all runs off the boat's house battery but only the flashing LED draws current (5mA).
The label and flashing LED actually do the main business.

PM me if anyone wants the circuit.

Did get broken into once but only the toilet was used and left dirty and nothing was taken. Boat on other side of the pontoon was cleaned out.

Sep 25, 2008
CS 30 Toronto
Only if people would come out and look see

How many times when you heard a car alarm and actually go there to ask what the guy/gal was doing? In a small town may be. In a big city very few would. So alarm doesn't work unless it actually alert someone who really care, like a security company that you contracted to watch out for you.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Re: Only if people would come out and look see

Motrion activated camera traps will provide evidence for the courts, a loud alarm will be distracting and probably effective.

Sep 25, 2008
CS 30 Toronto
cops won't care about your boat

You can have all the video and photo but if the cops don't care, there isn't much value. If you can't catch the bad guys red handed there isn't much courts can or will do. You can get insurance but still no solace.

I personally won't go near a car or boat that has the alarm blasting away because I live in a big city. I'll call the cop or someone but no hero. You know where heros go -- Cemetery.

I just not sure electrical shoke is legal.

Sep 25, 2008
CS 30 Toronto
Donalex :- "Did get broken into once but only the toilet was used and left dirty and nothing was taken. Boat on other side of the pontoon was cleaned out."

Would have been fun if the toilet was wired for electrical shock ;-) That would have eliminated baby making for the bad guy for good !

Status
Not open for further replies.