bunk lube

srimes

Jun 9, 2020
Macgregor 26D Brookings
I've heard of people using toothpaste or Liquid Rollers $20 spray. I remembered I had paraffin wax bars that I got for wood so thought I'd try it. Just rubbed a bar on the carpet and when I did the "MacGregor Shimmy" it was SO MUCH easier! A $4 box from your favorite grocery store is probably a lifetime supply!

1595798735597.png

srimes

Jun 9, 2020
Macgregor 26D Brookings
Could you elaborate upon this or is it "inappropriate" for this site ? :redface:
lol and to be clear, this is for the trailer bunks. Not lube to use while in the bunks :biggrin:. You can thin it with mineral oil to get whatever viscosity you want though.

When you load a Mac the bow pulls away from the V stop. Many drive with speed and slam on the breaks to make the boat slide forward. This is the "Mac bump." I crank the winch tight, grab the bow pulpit and shake the boat side to side ( the "shimmy"). This brings the boat forward with less drama and without getting in and out of the car.

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
I use both the Bump and Shimmy. Mostly the Bump as I find it works best to get the boat tight into the rubber V block.
Someone at the dock asked me once if the bump was hard on the carpet. I told them carpet pieces are cheap or free.
I've never ripped a carpet. I have replaced ripped carpets on all my trailers when I got them. I use black off cuts from an auto manufacturer in my city. A piece 8x5 was $20. I even have draped my dock with it at the club.
Marty

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Thanks, srimes, for the information on the wax.
For one trailer I had purchased the Starboard product made especially for trailer bunks. It was an answer to the dragging effect of pulling the boat forward on the bunks. I was thinking of searching for another set of those for our powerboat's (yes, I apologize for that bad language) trailer. Your post will save me quite a bit of money! Thanks again.