Bulkheads

Dug22

Jan 29, 2019
Catalina 22 Vincent Alabama, BSC
Has anyone used King starboard to replace the bulkheads? I re-placed them two years ago with regular treated plywood but from the chain plates leaking, they have deteriorated. Also, is it o.k. to disconnect the chain plates from the bulk heads with the mast up? Are the bulk heads structural? I only ask because they are not fiber glassed in they are only attached with small screws / bolts & nuts.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Also, is it o.k. to disconnect the chain plates from the bulk heads with the mast up? Are the bulk heads structural? I only ask because they are not fiber glassed in they are only attached with small screws / bolts & nuts.
If the chain plates are attached to shrouds that hold up your mast, then you have your answer. It should not be difficult to lower the mast on a Cat 22, people do it constantly. Bulkheads are structural, especially when chain plates are attached to them. As for replacing with Starboard, that I do not know but, maybe a call to a distributor would help but for some reason I am leaning to no on that. Closing the leaks should be a high priority as well, water should be on the outside of a boat.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
If your only in the slip you can remove the upper shrouds and chainplates as the forward and aft lowers will support the mast. You cannot sail or put undue strain on the rig this way though. The bulkheads are structural even though they are not glassed into place. As for making new ones out of starboard some have thought of trying it but for one reason or another have gone a different way due to fears of holes elongating under the stress of the rig, compression forces, and a myriad of other reasons. If you search the archives here I believe there are even a few threads on the subject.

I did read an article in the mainbrace once where someone made a SS arch to completly remove the bulkeaads and stiffen up the cabin though if i remember correctly it was a lot of work and engineering to get there. That article is also in the Tech manual from the C22 national association. If you have rotted out bulkheads after only 2 years I would be concerned with deckrot as well. The chainplates are notorious for leaking and one of the few fittings I find butyl tape to be almost useless in sealing due to their constant flex. A good marine sealant works much better. I redid my bulkheads a couple years back as well sealing them with epoxy before refinishing them and rebedded the chainplates. 2 years of sailing / racing / and stressing the rig along with trailering and thus far things still seem water tight though I check them every year. In your position I would remake the bulkheads and seal them with epoxy while also checking to see if there is potential damage to the deck core. Repairs can be done there as well and I would point you again to the tech manual on how to go about that. Hope this helps and what year boat are you working on?

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
IMHO, starboard for bulkheads would be very heavy, and not structurally sound enough for the chainplates. Getting the chainplate deck leaks under control is extremely important, so that you can avoid the inevitable plywood core rot in the decks. I've had good success with butyl tape, but be sure to check for any core rot that has already set in around the chainplates. There are quite a few old posts on these issues, and it can be a common issue in older boats unfortunately. Good luck-

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
The bulkheads are structural in that they hold your rig up, not because they stiffen the hull in any way. Starboard might work if it were thick enough, but you MUST fix those leaking chainplates first and foremost. If they aren't leaking, plywood bulkheads will last forever, leaving no need for alternative materials. If they ARE leaking, you will soon have much bigger problems than bulkheads.

As for the chainplates themselves ... I believe in removing them, thoroughly cleaning out the holes in the deck, put tape on the underside of the holes, then fill them with thin, slow-curing epoxy for a few minutes. This allows the epoxy to soak into the plywood deck core, making it resistant to future damage caused by inevitable future leaking. Then reinstall the chainplates with bedding compound of your choosing.

It's a pretty cheap and easy job, as boat projects go.

Dug22

Jan 29, 2019
Catalina 22 Vincent Alabama, BSC
Gene,
Will it be ok to disconnect the chain plates with the mast up? The boat is in my wet slip and I do not want to have to put it on the trailer and drop the mast.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
I think it would be okay, so long as you've checked the integrity of the other shrouds, and aren't expecting a lot of wind and wave action in the slip while the uppers are disconnected. I'm sure it's not recommended... Be sure to check for existing plywood core rot, around the chainplates, and address that issue though. If you're lucky, and don't find any rot setting in yet - be sure to seal the chainplate holes with epoxy as Gene described. There are many horror stories stemming from chainplate deck core rot-

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
+1. I wouldn't hesitate to do it on the water, one shroud at a time.

If there is moisture in the deck core (and it seems there would inevitably be SOME), you may want to let it air out for a while before doing the epoxy soak. Some people say you can soak it with acetone first to help drive out the water, so you could look into the truth of that. I stuck a shop-vac hose onto the hole and sucked high-velocity air through it for a day. In any case, I'd have a plan to protect the area from rain in case it needs to sit a while. The drier the better. This will be your only chance to get that moisture out.

Oct 21, 2015
Catalina 22 Lafayette, IN
I
I did read an article in the mainbrace once where someone made a SS arch to completly remove the bulkeaads and stiffen up the cabin though if i remember correctly it was a lot of work and engineering to get there. That article is also in the Tech manual from the C22 national association.
LakeShark:
I'd be interested in reading that article, but can't find it in my archive of Mainbraces or the various tech manuals. Can you point me in the right direction?

thanks

Mike

Mar 30, 2014
Catalina 22 Indiana
This post by Leeward Rail has a great description of how to repot the chain plates on a new design c22...
C22 New Style "Stormwatch" Purchase and Refit

Most likely repotting the original sloppy holes with epoxy and bedding with butyl tape should be sufficient to stop chainplates from leaking for another couple of decades... but I see that the more recent C22s (1995 and on) use a much nicer shroud chainplate design....
Upper Shroud Chainplate C-22 '95->, Sport

The welded flange chainplate design makes me super envious... has anyone out there with a new design C22 replaced theirs with this style chainplate... and if so how was it to install?

Dave

Last edited:

ambler

Dec 7, 2013
catalina 22 11619 Watauga Lake, TN
When I removed the upper shroud chainplate to rebed it I attached the halyard to the base of the adjacent stantion to support the top of the mast. The lower shrouds would probably be enough but I used the halyard as a backup.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
LakeShark:
I'd be interested in reading that article, but can't find it in my archive of Mainbraces or the various tech manuals. Can you point me in the right direction?

thanks

Mike
Mike it's in the 2019 update to the Techmanual on pages 78-79. If you don't have the manual its available from the Catalina 22 association as a digital download and I highly recommend it. The PDF's are searchable and while looking for the article I found about a half dozen other articles on various ways to address bulkhead issues. It does look like the "Beam of Destiny" article I was referring to does still use the builheads in part but with a little more engineering it could easily eliminate them I would think. Still this is a redesign of the boat so hopefully your Naval architect skills are better than mine.

Oct 21, 2015
Catalina 22 Lafayette, IN
Mike it's in the 2019 update to the Techmanual on pages 78-79. If you don't have the manual its available from the Catalina 22 association as a digital download and I highly recommend it. The PDF's are searchable and while looking for the article I found about a half dozen other articles on various ways to address bulkhead issues. It does look like the "Beam of Destiny" article I was referring to does still use the builheads in part but with a little more engineering it could easily eliminate them I would think. Still this is a redesign of the boat so hopefully your Naval architect skills are better than mine.
Thanks.....I have the manual and am a C22.org member...........I just couldn't find it.

Mike