Bulkhead Replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
Ok, might sound stupid but is it possible to replace the bulkheads on an O'day 26 while it's still in the water? And with the mast still up?

I'm thinking, do one side at a time and use the halyards as safety lines while I re-bed each sides chain plates? If the stays are slightly slackened so no excess compression forces other than weight of the mast on the compression post..?

Am I crazy or just ignorant?

I have access to a trailer so I can haul out. Dropping the mast I'd like to do only if it's advisable and prudent.

The seller (not my boat yet) appears to have covered the original bulkheads or possibly a thinner replacement with cedar siding! It smells good but adds no structural support.

Attachments

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
I would drop the mast and stow it on land and do all the bulkheads.

Oct 2, 2008
Island Packet 31 Brunswick, Ga
bria46 said:
Drop the Mast. Better yet wait for winter.
Are you on a lake? How rotted r your bulkheads? What other things might you need to do while she is on the hard? Does the carpet need changing while the bulkheads (and thus your head sink cabinet and dry locker)? Is the deck under the mast soft from core rot? Etc.

I suggest, if you are going to do a major project like bulkheads, you need to find out what else must be done, and formulate a plan of action, parts list, etc. if those bulkheads are bad, then the boat has been poorly maintained. There r a lot of boats out there. Keep looking is what I would do!

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
Gonna take one more look at the bulkheads this week before we make a decision to buy or not. The PO had a "carpenter" replace a lot of the woodwork inside, me thinks they either covered up the old bulkheads with cedar siding. The bulkheads may have been replaced with some sort of plywood then covered they covered it. PO has no knowledge of how the repairs were done, he just paid the carpenter to "fix" it. Makes me worry alrighty! Price is very very realistic given the condition. On the good side, she has a new roller furler, 140% genoa and new cushion covers throughout.

I will defiantly pull her out if the bulkheads need done and do a bottom job as well. Will update as the saga continues.

Sep 25, 2008
Oday 25 Gibraltar
Most everything can be fixed. If it's decent shape and the price is right. I spent 18 mo rebuilding mine.

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
True, but by the time I'm done I could probably buy a well maintained boat, right? I don't mind a repair or three but don't want to spend months on it.

Oct 2, 2008
Island Packet 31 Brunswick, Ga
Fly_H23 said:
True, but by the time I'm done I could probably buy a well maintained boat, right? I don't mind a repair or three but don't want to spend months on it.
Right now, yes, if you look around. I spent well over six grand on the rebuild counting new sails, outboard motor, hatches, tools, chemicals, fasteners, carpet, and about 18 months. I just dropped another 2.5 grand on instruments, a mast raiser, more bottom paint,and toilet upgrade. I won't say what I gave for the boat initially, but it was way too much.

I still need new sail cover and new Bimini top among other minor things.

Last fall a fellow at our club acquired an O'day 26 for six grand. She looks completely new inside and out! It had been completely redone including professionally applied paint; top, hull, and bottom. It included a new large outboard motor with electric start, nearly new sails, furler, and get this, almost new tandem axel trailer. Six grand!
Below is a pick of her I shot a couple of weeks ago.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.