Bulkhead and table wood

Oct 14, 2013
Hunter 22 Gulf Shores Alabama
I am going to replace the bulkhead and the table. Does anyone have any thoughts on using 1/2" birch plywood? I have not found a mahogany/teak supplier here. Birch plywood is considered a fine grain hardwood plywood. I will be giving it many coats of varnish; but I am not sure about using Birch.

:confused:

OH, and my floor panels are missing. Has anyone had to replace them? If so, with what?

Last edited:

Nov 5, 2013
Hunter 22 1983 Lake Norman
I would think it was up to you about looks, etc. You need to insure that it's very waterproof plywood.

I'm involved in a project that builds prams with kids.. we use acuma plywood for all the boats, and find it to be outstanding. It is 7 ply I think, and waterproof, and very nice looking. It has the appearance of mahogany but can be stained to anything. Our normal treatment is, after sanding, to coat it with clear epoxy, using a squeege to make the coat very thin. Then we use spar varnish on it to help with UV damage.

There is a local boat ( 80's H22 ) that's being scrapped. Sad. Anyway, it might have floor panels and possibly even table in it. It was submerged for a while and you may have no interest but if there's things there that you ( or anybody else ) might want, I will research who the guy is and get you in touch with him.

I'd probably just make some new floor panels out of 6mm acuma and screw em down (c:

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
Mainsailman - Not to hijack your thread too much, but...

Wow 203, why YES I AM looking for an early 80s H22 'pieces-part' ! Specifically, the cockpit cooler lid. I've been working on my salvage 1981 H22 for the past 6yrs or so, and have a number of things still on the "to-do" list. So if the cockpit cooler lid is still available from the scrapped local boat....Please fill me in.

Grazi,
Charlie

Nov 10, 2013
Hunter 22 North Hero VT
Here's a project I just finished. I go for darker wood-butternut & cherry-&
louvres for ventilation when we're not aboard. Lots of spar urethane. Wood is up
to you. Our boat came to us with smoked Lexan but no air moves through
that.

Attachments

Nov 5, 2013
Hunter 22 1983 Lake Norman
Outstanding woodwork. I have to build one of these as well, you've given me some great ideas (c: