Bulging Bilge

Oct 31, 2018
Pearson 28 Nyack
I am the new owner of a 1977 Pearson 28. The boat is on land for the winter and the bilge is still filling up. We just removed the main cabin windows and reinstalled them which stopped the windows from leaking. We got a huge amount of rain this week and from last Saturday to today the bilge went from empty to full. Any ideas where all this water is coming from? Also the cabin roof is tarped from just aft of the mast to where the cabin meets the cockpit.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Stanchion bases, any and all other deck-penetrating hardware, how is your mast stepped?

There should be some signs of waters path into the boat...just need to look and feel for it.

Greg

Jun 19, 2004
Island Packet IP 32 99 Forked River, NJ
On our boat, a Morgan 28 OI, the outward-facing hull-to-deck joint was the main culprit... How is the deck joined to the hull on the Pearson ?

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I am the new owner of a 1977 Pearson 28. The boat is on land for the winter and the bilge is still filling up. We just removed the main cabin windows and reinstalled them which stopped the windows from leaking. We got a huge amount of rain this week and from last Saturday to today the bilge went from empty to full. Any ideas where all this water is coming from? Also the cabin roof is tarped from just aft of the mast to where the cabin meets the cockpit.
That much rain water in the bilge in the short time I would check cockpit locker lid drains, scuppers and any deck drains. Is the boat level on the ground so things are draining correctly?

While you figure it out I suggest you install a garboard drain plug. I wouldn't store a boat on land without one.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Beyond the suggestions above, maybe forward. From your description the mast is still in. To "fill the bilge" you'd have need a lot of water. If you use a wet dry vac, then lay some paper towels along the drainage paths; and, then, you'll see where it's coming from. Do you have an anchor locker "lid" or is it just a anchor lead through the deck to a compartment in front of the V-Berth?

Oct 31, 2018
Pearson 28 Nyack
The anchor chain is stored in front of vberth but where it comes through deck there is a curved opening like a candy cane shape that I thought would keep water out.

Attachments

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
The simplest answer now would be a self amalgamating boot (like a 4” or more rubber tape. Is there a fitting that you can seal to at the deck? (Sometimes called a collar)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Check the low spots on the deck. That much rain filling the bilge would have to come from an area where water runs to not runs from. You have a molded toe rail and your stanchions are mounted inside the toe rail. Re-bed your deck hardware.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
If the companionway isn't covered it can let in rain even with the boards in correctly. I keep my boat on a mooring so it's always bow to the wind and they don't leak then. But on the hard the sole in front of the ladder is always wet. Also cockpit lockers and drains and the mast boot. Garboard drain is the way to go especially in freezing climates. One boat I saw had the speedo sensor in the bottom of the keel sump. Pull the paddle wheel and it's a drain.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
This is keel stepped mast. First there should be a rubber boot around the mast where it goes through the deck (google mast boot)..... if that was removed I would use a rubber tape and seal it. Also even when that is perfectly sealed you will get water coming into boat from mast when it rains..... runs down inside from openings up top. But significant amounts would lead me to believe a cockpit/deck drain that passes through boat is leaking.....
All other suggestions above are good.

Ultimate would be to go to boat during heavy rain and find it.

Good luck!

Greg

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
My precision 28 always has water in the bilge. My main culprit is the cockpit locker. She is a dry boat other then the bilge. I pump it out several times over the winter. It doesn’t help that it’s been the wettest year on record.