Bulb for anchor light

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 3, 2010
Oday 39 Lake mills WI
I went out of my way to get a power supply to test the anchor light bulb prior to the mast stepping.

I just checked the light last night and it's out. Power is fine at the base of the mast.

I'm sure it the same as other larger O'days. Does anyone know the bulb?

Second item: I thought I was so smart replacing all my lighting with LED. Just after 10 hours. This $30 bulb goes out. http://www.sailorsams.com/12-volt-L...-Watt-210-lumens-Omni-Directional_p_4345.html
It has a rattle in it. The diesel vibration likely got to it. I don't feel so smart anymore.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
My anchor light is a Hella. I don't know the bulb, but to check it you should only need to see if there is continuity through the bulb. If you can pass a current through it then the filament in the bulb is still intact. So set your multimeter to Ohms and see what the resistance is through the circuit between the hot wire and the ground wire. If you get a reading the bulb is good. If you get nothing the bulb is bad (or the wires are broken). No need to get a power supply and fire up the light bulb. I have a bad steaming light bulb and know it is burned out by using this method. Soon to be replaced.

Oct 3, 2010
oday 31 noank
the way I see it you still are a very smart man....after all....you are changing the bulb on an O'day. cant get much smarter than that IMHO

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
My anchor light is a Hella. I don't know the bulb, but to check it you should only need to see if there is continuity through the bulb. If you can pass a current through it then the filament in the bulb is still intact. So set your multimeter to Ohms and see what the resistance is through the circuit between the hot wire and the ground wire. If you get a reading the bulb is good. If you get nothing the bulb is bad (or the wires are broken). No need to get a power supply and fire up the light bulb. I have a bad steaming light bulb and know it is burned out by using this method. Soon to be replaced.
If the existing bulb is an LED it won't be that simple. LEDs have different resistive properties depending on the voltage applied to them. The voltage across a multimeter trying to measure ohms is likely too low to induce any current across the LED, so it may read open even if it is a good bulb.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
If the existing bulb is an LED it won't be that simple. LEDs have different resistive properties depending on the voltage applied to them. The voltage across a multimeter trying to measure ohms is likely too low to induce any current across the LED, so it may read open even if it is a good bulb.
good point, I was assuming an incandescent bulb. thanks for the added info.

Status
Not open for further replies.