Builders Certificate

Aug 6, 2019
Beneteau Idylle 11.5m
I have a 1983 Beneteau Idylle 11.5 and for registration purposes, require the builders certificate or certified copy there of.
I've emailed Beneteau Head Office in France but did not receive a reply. Has anyone on this forum had success in obtaining builders certificates from Beneteau?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Are you registering in a state or for the USCG Federal registration? I don't know much about such things, but I believe you can choose how to register, and I am unfamiliar with such a requirement as a builder's certificate. Do you have a HIN (hull identification number)? I would think that should cover any question of builder's credentials necessary. 1983 is new enough that your boat should have a HIN imprinted into the transom from the factory.

-Will

• Helpful
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Are you registering in a state or for the USCG Federal registration? I don't know much about such things, but I believe you can choose how to register, and I am unfamiliar with such a requirement as a builder's certificate. Do you have a HIN (hull identification number)? I would think that should cover any question of builder's credentials necessary. 1983 is new enough that your boat should have a HIN imprinted into the transom from the factory.

-Will
When a boat is completed the builder issues a certificate which is used for the first registration in the US, either a state title or USCG Documentation. After that the State or US documents provide proof of ownership. The OP is in Europe, which has a different set of rules.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
A similar question appeared on another thread a few months ago... here....

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Has anyone on this forum had success in obtaining builders certificates from Beneteau?
I requested a builder's certificate from Beneteau USA in 2017 (when Beneteau was operational in SC), for my 2006 model. What I received was a copy of a letter from Beneteau stating the hull ID number & that the boat was built by Beneteau USA, in Marion SC for the account of the original dealer.
It described the boat & specifications as well as a statement that the major components were constructed & assembled in the US. The letter stated, "A builder's certificate & manufacturer's statement of origin were furnished to the dealer upon delivery and that Beneteau issues one certificate and no other will be furnished." There was also a statement that Beneteau built the referenced vessel and that the company records were examined & verified concerning the facts of vessel construction. Signed by the President of Beneteau USA. As I previously stated the letter was a copy without an original signature.
Better than nothing; however, I would have preferred a certified / notarized letter & original signature.
The dealer was no help in providing the original certificate.

Last edited:

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake

-Will
1983 is not new enough for a HIN if not built in the US. My boat is 1984 and does not have a HIN - it was built in Spain...

dj

• Helpful