Buffing out marks, cunningham?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 7, 2005
- - Germantown, TN
Hi, I just bought a used 170 and have a couple of questions. I appreciate any help! First of all, how does one get more tension on the luff of the main? I am accustomed to boats with a cunningham for this. I am having a hard time maintaining enough tension on the halyard while I cleat it. Also, what is the best way to buff out marks and scratches from the hull/deck? I have some marks in the cockpit from not properly securing the shrouds while trailering the boat (oops) and also some scratches on the hull. I think I am going to enjoy this boat once I get it tuned. Thanks again for any advice. Best regards, Jason H.

J

john Kivel

tried soft scrub??

Earlier this year someone in this forum suggested Soft scrub for the scuff marks. I was surprised how well it worked! If you are talking about gouges or really bad stuff there are some other suggestions, I think they might include caulk and bondo depending how bad the situation is. Haven't tried it myself, so I don't know. Have you searched the archives?? As for the cunningham, my boat has one, I thought they all did. good luck, John

Jul 7, 2005
- - Germantown, TN
I'll try the Soft Scrub...

Thanks for the tip. I'll try soft scrub. Someone also recommended Simple Green for surface cleaning. As for scratches, I have not found anything in the archives so I am still looking for suggestions. Your 170 has a cunningham? Mine is a 2003 and it does not. Is there any way you could post a picture? This is probably something I could install myself. My other idea is to install a rope clutch for the main halyard so I can have better control of the tension. Best regards, Jason

D

david

cunningham

I believe my 2005 170 has a cunningham also. In my case it is the red line on the mast which feeds through a hole (grommet?) about 12 inches up the luff. I have also used this same line for reefing (2 line reefing, as opposed to one line reefing which I think uses the black line on the aft end of the boom. Next time I am at my boat (about a week and a half), I will set it up and send a picture. Unfortunately, the manual is not very clear on setting up the cunningham and reefing, so I have been doing a lot of trial and error.

B

Brian

No cunningham

I believe what you think is a cunningham is actually a reefing line. My 2005 does not have a cunning ham. There is a length of the sail rope hanging down which I run through a cam cleat mounted on the mast. Pulling down tightens up the luff of the sail. Brian

D

david

I believe you are right

Brian, I believe you are right. I think I am confusing the two. Another point in favor of the need for more comprehensive owner's manuals that explain this stuff, instead of just giving schematics. I have sailed two boats that I believe have cunninghams - CL16 and Laser, but never had occasion to use either so I guess I did not pay close attention to how they were set up. Anyway, I would greatly appreciate some clarification. How would a cunningham look different from the reefing line? If one were to run the reefing line through the grommet intended as a reefing point on the luff of the sail and tighten it down, how would this differ from what a cunningham does? I really need to get that book on sail trim!

D

david

cunningham oops

I took a minute to look at the setup of a cunningham on the Laser (see photo) and see that it is quite different from the reefing lines on the 170. For one thing it is much closer to the foot of the sail and includes an easy cleating mechanism.

B

Brian

cunningham

If you will notice, the cunningham actually pulls down on the boom in the picture you posted. I believe that the cunningham on my Coronado 15 also pulled down directly on the boom. So the boom floats on the mast? But it seems to me that you would only need this if you were doing a lot of racing. I can get my luff in great shape by pulling on the extra line at the clew of the main sail and jaming it in the jam cleat I mounted to the mast. Brian

B

Brian

did I say clew?

Did I say clew? Meant tack of the sail. Also, now that I think of it, the cunningham might hook right into the tack gromet of the sail not to the boom. What do I know? Brian

J

john Kivel

my cunningham

my boat is a 97 I think. What I am calling a cunningham (I also call it a "down-haul") is a single piece of 1/4 or 3/8 rope sewn into the luff of the sail right at the tack, and hanging down just far enough to tie it around the gooseneck. It could not possibly be used for reefing, and the sail did not have reef points until I had them installed last year. I guess I always assumed that it was standard issue, perhaps the previous owner had it installed. I will snap a picture sometime in the next couple of days. John

Jul 7, 2005
- - Germantown, TN
I think there is usually a grommet

Thanks for all of the replies. The two boats I have the most experience on are a Laser and a Catalina 27. On both of them there was a large grommet near the tack of the mainsail used for the cunningham. The 170 has a grommet at the tack, but it may be too far from the luff to use as a cunningham. Instead I will probably just install a different main halyard cleat and adjust my luff tension that way. I am pretty sure "downhaul" commonly refers to the line which applies downward force on a traditional spinnaker pole. The "rope tail" on the tack of the 170 main is apparently there for something else. I was confused by this line too, and found an explanation on the North Sails website. Please see the last paragraph from the link below. Thanks again for all of the replies.

J

john Kivel

really??

that's just strange! "we made it too long in case it shrinks???" I liked my idea better, and will probably continue to tie it around the goose neck (maybe the tension will keep it from shrinking!) John

Dec 16, 2004
Hunter 170 Panic Stricken
Cunningham / Downhaul / Luff Rope

A cunningham is a line / block system that attaches from a point on the mast to a cringle at or just above the tack. A downhaul is a line / block system that attaches from a point on the mast to the a sliding gooseneck. The luff rope is for resizing the luff of the main. Just a note: On the h-170, you could use the luff rope as a light duty cunningham by attaching a cleat on the mast just below the boom as Brian has mentioned. Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.