Buff and Wax - Completed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 20, 2007
Catalina 355 Kilmarnock, VA
Finished the second coat of wax today. My boat is only six years old, but was showing significant oxidation of the topsides despite annual cleaning and waxing, including using Island Girl acrylics one year. This time I used Maine Sail's technique, starting with acid washing/machine compounding, followed by machine polishing, then finishing with two coats of hand-applied and buffed Collinite Fleet Wax. It was a lot of work, but the final product was well worth it. Every passerby at the yard (including the pros who work there) couldn't get over the final result. Thanks, Maine!

Attachments

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
We buffed our cabin top this past weekend with Presta gel coat compound and a black wool bonnet. We had the eyebrow and the handrails off which made it much easier. The top sides will get a polish when we haul in a couple of weeks. To polish i will use Presta cutting creme and the green polishing compound. I will post some photos tomorrow.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Buff underway

I was out in the yard working on ours today, reading Maine's printed buffing treatise, using a new Makita. The Presta Gelcoat Compound and black wool pad really brought the hull back to a high gloss. Any recommendations for the area around the boat name mylar graphics? Have a lot of oxidation haze there and don't want to buff any of the lettering off.

Jun 7, 2011
Beneteau Oceanis 361 Marmong Cove, Australia
I was out in the yard working on ours today, reading Maine's printed buffing treatise, using a new Makita. The Presta Gelcoat Compound and black wool pad really brought the hull back to a high gloss. Any recommendations for the area around the boat name mylar graphics? Have a lot of oxidation haze there and don't want to buff any of the lettering off.
Thank you too the article posted "How to buff your boat" my Bene 361 looks better than new.

What I would like to know is how and what do I treat the grip areas with or do you simply use the Gelcoat Compound there also. I would appreciate all advice offered, thank you.

Mar 20, 2007
Catalina 355 Kilmarnock, VA
Gunni - the name graphics on my boat had gotten very faded and weathered, so I took them off prior to starting and put on new, better quality ones before waxing. My boat has some tape trim stripes below the gunwales that also were faded; I went over these with the compound/polish and they look like new.

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
I have successfully buffed right over my vinyl lettering without any discernible affects to the lettering. Although this was the thicker 3M lettering.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Thanks Tim, I went ahead and took a shot at buffing over the letters. the Beneteau lettering (all the B's have these silly model numbers on their flank) took a little beating and my name graphic didn't look damaged. I'm wondering if I should just go to Presta Ultra cutting creme since it has less tooth?

I paid half a boat buck for these little devils and I don't want to damage them.

Apr 8, 2010
Frers 33 41426 Westport, CT
Looks great!

I did mine with MS's technique 2 seasons ago, it was like a chalk board when I bought the boat. I just polished and waxed last season, and have not yet done anything this year. Over the weekend I was in the cockpit doing some work when someone came by and asked me what year my boat was, when I told them it was a '90 they asked me "you mean a 2009?" I smiled and said, "no, a 1990..."

me likes my shiny boat :)

Oct 28, 2005
Hunter 31 Portage De Sioux, MO
Maine. I have been putting together a little buffing system myself, but haven't perfected it yet. I have a 87 Hunter that is showing a little ruff gelcoat and was going to tackle it this Spring to try and bring it back to life. From reading the threads here you have a good system. Would you mind sharing it with me? Thanks in advance. I have different buffers, pads and what not but haven't found a rubbing compound yet that does what it is suppose to. Or I'am not using it correctly. Planning on sanding with 3m 1000 or 3m 1500 first, then buff and wax.

Robert 47

Status
Not open for further replies.