Bucc 18 or Capri 14.2?

pkpdjh

Jan 31, 2015
O'Day 20 Scorpion Bay, AZ
I am trying to decide whether to get a Buccaneer 18 or Capri 14.2 for a little daysailer.

My wife and I have been going from Phoenix to California for the last few, renting cruisers and having some enjoyable weekends. I also crew for a J/105 that races on Lake Pleasant regularly.

Now, my wife and I would like to get a daysailer that we can use here in the Phoenix lakes. It will sit in a shared slip on a small inland lake with typically light to moderate winds. (Tempe Town Lake, AZ). Our sailing club has a Bucc 18 fleet and a Capri 14.2 fleet, so I'd like to focus on those.

Here are the things I would like to do with the boat all with equal priority

1. Go sailing with my wife and improve our skills
2. Race with the local fleet also for the sake of improving skills (not to win the title)
3. Take leisurely day sails with my wife and couple of guests or my wife our two dogs
4. Go by myself or with a dog to get away for a couple of hours.
5. Introduce friends to sailing

I am debating between the Buccaneer 18 and the Capri 14.2. I am thinking that 4 people in a Capri 14 is going to be too small. I also think that the Bucc might teach me more about sailing.

Right now, I can buy:

- 1994 Capri 14.2 (w/centerboard) in good shape for $2,500. Comes with trailer and cover for mast up and cover for no mast. I know the owner and he's a good guy who takes care of his stuff. (He's the captain of my racing team.)
- 1981 Bucc 18 for $3000. Comes with trailer and outboard. It is sold by a local shop.

I am really looking more at thoughts about the two designs, not these two particular boats for sale. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Dave ...

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I'd buy the Capri 14.2 .. there are many reasons... first of all the old Chrysler buccaneers have a horrible reputation... but.. that's not one of the reasons. I'd get the Capri because you trust the guy who's selling it to you and when you're ready to move up he will help you sell it to another club member. That's a no brainer for me compared to the NO help you'll get from the buc 18 seller.

Here's another huge reason.... Catalina is still making Capri's and you know of course that Catalina supports every boat they've put their name on no matter how many previous owners the boat has had. You can easily get parts...

You must be certain that the buc has every piece of factory equipment to make it race legal... so if it's missing anything that's not oem.. mast, rudder, centerboard.. etc.. walk away. I'm not talking about the small hardware... but the one design foils and spars.

As far as capacity... 4 people in either boat will be crowded... but if you look closely at the cockpit for both boats... there's not that much difference.. you won't be moving around anyway.. so you just need a place to stick you sunscreen and jackets...and some water bottles. The Capri has a little cuddy beneath the foredeck for storage.

So, I'd spend a season or two on the Capri...if you like racing... then you and your wife can have a blast... if you want bigger... it should be pretty easy to sell and move up to my favorite day sailor, the Capri 22.

pkpdjh

Jan 31, 2015
O'Day 20 Scorpion Bay, AZ
Hi Joe, thanks so much for the thoughtful response. Those were some excellent points. Maybe we will see you on Mission Bay. We love it out there.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Hi Joe, thanks so much for the thoughtful response. Those were some excellent points. Maybe we will see you on Mission Bay. We love it out there.
Me too... don't hesitate to call... but give me a few days... I live in Riverside...boat lives at Marina Village.

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
pkpdjh, Mission Bay Yacht Club has a fleet of Capri-14.2's, and they also usually host the Buccaneers National's there in the summer. They are still in production,(limited, not like the old Chrysler days), can't remember who owns the molds now, might be the National Association, so parts are available. FAST and extremely good performing boats. If your looking to do some racing, and be able to comfortably hold 4 people, what about a Lightning or Thistle? Plenty of racing in San Diego, but not sure about Lake Pleasant.

Don

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
I can't compare the two boats specifically, but in general I'll give you my two cents, vis-a-vis your purpose list:

1: Both are good.
2: Does one of the fleets have some advantage over the other? Maybe simply the culture/personalities of the sailors in one of the fleets in better matched to yours.

3: In my opinion, both boats are too small for comfortable daysailing, especially with pets and even more so with four people aboard. In my experience, people want at least a comfortable backrest for leisure sailing.

4: By yourself, both are good. I've not known a dog that would be comfortable in boats so tender. You might be able to sail flat, but that would take away some of the appeal of these small, quick, highly powered sport boats.
5: That depends entirely on your friends; see #3.

Both those boats were on my list when I was looking to buy. I ended up with an ODay Mariner and in retrospect, I glad I did, due to its higher level of comfort and larger cuddy. However, if I lived near an active fleet, I'd go the route you are pursuing, but I would drop daysailing with pets and friends to a lower level of priority. With a fleet, you'll be sailing with new friends that already enjoy sailing.

Feb 26, 2010
Hunter 15 Fremantle, Western Australia
I think Joe presented a great analysis. I almost purchased a Capri 14.2 but ultimately went for the ,then new, Hunter 15 because of design reasons. My reason for buying a boat of that size were mostly the same as you stated in your original post. My previous boat was a local Aussie design very much like the Hunter 22 which I used for family outings and to race.
PS. my next boat will probably be a Com-Pac Sun Cat or Horrizon Cat to have a bit more room for family/friends and a porta potty.

Dec 29, 2014
spacesailer 20 schroon
Try the Buc

I've sailed both, and the Buc is a better sailing boat, faster, I think you will enjoy it longer.

May 11, 2014
Catalina 22 Lake Pleasant, AZ
PKPDJH: as others have noted, the 2-boats that you are interested in may be a bit small for your use. Don mentioned the possibility of a Thistle - we have an active Thistle fleet within AYC at Lake Pleasant. Maybe think a bit bigger - The Catalina / Capri 18 is a nice boat - I think we have one that races in the PHRF fleet at Pleasant. And, the C-22 is a very nice all round boat with an active fleet on Lake Pleasant, too. Roomy cockpit for 4 or more, and room for that dog, too. You can also trailer it to CA for coastal sailing.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
As a former Catalina dealer, you can still get parts for the Capri/Catalina 14.2 from Catalina now in Florida or Catalina Direct. Not sure if SBO store has them as well but yo can check with them.

However the original fellow who posted did not say how old he is nor how much trailering he plans to do. It is much easier to trailer the Capri 14.2 from experience and the older you are the wiser for going with the smaller unit.