Bubbles in hot water

JoeK

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 28MKII Morris Plains NJ
After recommissioning my fresh water system this year, my hot water is filled with tiny bubbles. Not the cold, just the hot. I have flushed many gallons of water through the water heater. I don't suppose it is harmful, just unappealing. Any ideas what might cause this and how to fix it?

Aug 19, 2021
Hunter 280 White House Cove Marina
Do the bubbles disappear as you let the water tun?
If they do, you could have small leak. As water escapes air enters the pipe or piping of the hot water system.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Bubbles may come from your Shore Water supply.

Chlorine or Sulphur gases are most common.

Jim...
Strange though that is only the hot water…

Unless the heat is causing something in the water to vaporize and cause the bubbles.

Greg

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
When water is heated, the heat drives dissolved oxygen out of the water. I am told that this is why in freezing temperatures, a hot water line will freeze before a cold line next to it.
Maybe your water supply has a great deal of dissolved oxygen in it?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Does the water have an odor?

A really long shot suggestion, there may be air trapped in the top of the water heater. Try releasing some pressure with the pressure relief valve. There's a lever on the valve, if you lift it some water, steam, air will come out. Be careful it will be scalding hot. There should be a hose attached directing the outflow to the bilge.

JoeK

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 28MKII Morris Plains NJ
Update/clarification. The bubbly water is not "hot". The engine and electric are off. It is just what comes from the "hot" side. It is cool water

Apr 1, 2004
Catalina 34 Herring Bay Chesapeake, MD
When you winterized was there a chance that any antifreeze found its way into the water heater. If so will take a few additional flushes of water system to elevate the issue

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I have flushed many gallons of water through the water heater.
This is a big clue.

If it is dissolve gases,
1) turn off water pump and open all hot water valves.
2) Let that sit for a while, say 30 minutes.
3) Close the valves, then start your water pump.

If bubble still there, then it is a air leak on you water pump suction.

If not, it was dissolved gases.

Jim...

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
When water is heated, the heat drives dissolved oxygen out of the water. I am told that this is why in freezing temperatures, a hot water line will freeze before a cold line next to it.
Maybe your water supply has a great deal of dissolved oxygen in it?
Yea I think your physics is off a little. Hot water will freeze faster than cold water when exposed atmosphere ( not in pipes) due to its ability to vaporize more readily due to it’s temperature (increased vapor pressure) by vaporizing, it realeases its fast moving molecules ( heat) and leaves the slow ( cold) allowing it drop temperature and freeze in a shorter time than cold water. This is dependent on surface area and commonly demonstrated by throwing both into very cold air.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Sometimes, the bubbles are caused by the anode rod being corroded.. ya may need to replace the anode in the tank.