brown waterline scum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 1, 2004
Hunter 26 Lake Pueblo Colorado
Pulled our h26 last weekend from fresh water and it has a brown stain at the waterline which is also on the blue bootstrip. Any suggestions as to removing it? Chemicals to use/not use? Thanks in advance Charisma

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
It may be an iron stain. If it won't scrub off with normal efforts try some oxalic acid in a small area. Some iron oxides are water soluble and some precipitate from the water when exposed to more oxygen.

Dale_K

Oct 17, 2008
Vagabond 14 - Hot Springs Village
I found Davis FSR almost a miracle when I needed to clean up my little sailboat after I bought it. The waterline stains were very embedded but Davis FSR took them out without any rubbing in only a few minutes. The stuff is kind of a gel. You paint it on and let it set a few minutes, then wipe or hose it off. Here's a link but you can get it at pretty much any of the online boating sites.

http://www.shipstore.com/SS/HTML/DAV/DAV790.html

Mike B

Apr 15, 2007
Beneteau 43 Baltimore, MD
Try Bar Tender Keeper available at most hardware stores.
Mike

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY
I was using an oxalic acid product on my scum. Nazty stuff and it burns when it gets on your skin. It Certainly does work, but then a guy came over told me to use his stuff and it worked pretty good. it was Merrymate non skid deck cleaner. It was great stuff and not toxic like the oxalic acid stuff.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
toilet bowl cleaner....

go to Smart and Final (it's a restaurant supply chain) or any store that sells janitorial supplies. Purchase a quart of basic toilet bowl cleaner... it is acid based and should cost less than 5 bucks... purchase a long handled soft scrub brush and a bucket... you now have an algae removal kit... the brown stuff is algae and will come right off with any diluted acid based cleaner... the cheapest is the aforementioned product. Just squirt some in a bucket of water, swab it on, then rinse off with a hose.....

I trailer sailed my NACRA in fresh water for years. The brown stuff was very easy to remove this way. It is a pain without acid based cleaners.

Aug 3, 2005
Morgan 33 O/I Green Cove Springs FL
You Don't Have to Go To

a supply house to get the cleaner. Go to your local grocery store and get a bottle of Sno-Bowl toilet bowl cleaner. Don't use the gel kind get the liquid. It's about a $1.50 a bottle.
Wear rubber gloves when you use it. It's a matter of wiping it on and rinsing it of with water. I use a sponge mop to apply it.

Fair Winds

Cap'n Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.