broken window

Dec 28, 2014
Hunter 280 Honolulu
I am getting a 1996 Hunter 280. The long starboard window is broken. Has anyone replaced this window?
I have the pieces from the window, should I find someone to cut a replacement or is there a source to order the window?
What is the material and color to match the other windows?
It looks like it is just glued in place. What glue should be used?
What is the best way to get the broken window out?

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I just sold my H280 (in favor of an O'Day 322). The HunterOwner store sells the window ( $465 each). I suppose you could have someone cut one, if they have the right material. Not sure if it would be cheaper or not.

Search the site for the correct adhesive. It is made by Dow, but cannot remember the exact number.

The hardest part of the job would be removing the window, but maybe not so bad if you are not trying to save it. If you search the forum, you should find some help that suggests drilling a small hole in the adhesive, threading a wire through, and using the wire to cut the adhesive around the window to get it out.

Here is a link to the window....http://shop.hunterowners.com/hp/part.php?m=280&c=2&p=53924

Good luck!

Greg

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
I replaced my two fixed port lights ('83 H31) with Lexan cut to fit for about $120, plus adhesive. The ease of the job depends on the frame Hunter used on your fixed ports. Mine were aluminum and the job was simple, a friend with a year older H31 had plastic frames and his job was trickier. Lots of info in the archives. Good luck!

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I replaced my two fixed port lights ('83 H31) with Lexan cut to fit for about $120, plus adhesive. The ease of the job depends on the frame Hunter used on your fixed ports. Mine were aluminum and the job was simple, a friend with a year older H31 had plastic frames and his job was trickier. Lots of info in the archives. Good luck!
I don't think that there is a frame on the H280. The windows are just "glued" in with the adhesive.

Greg

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
HMT2,

I am getting ready to do this on my 1983 H31. Do you have any tips you would like to share. I have the same aluminum frames, and my existing Plexiglas/Polycarbonate looks to be in good condition, however all of the seals look dry and cracked, and both windows leak.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
Pateco

If metal frames not salvageable check out mark plastics in Coronado Ca. Number is on website. They have plastic frames used in later model H 31s.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Pateco, It is pretty simple. The frames will push out from the inside. What is on the inside is just a trim piece. Once you get the frame out you can push the plexiglass out just by trimming/slicing the adhesive around the plexiglass. Mine was covered with silicone which is hard to get out of the cracks once the glass is clear of the frame. I bought some silicone remover from Home Depot and got after all the left over silicone sealant with that, some rags and a wire brush. You have to get it completely clean to get a good seal. I also used some 400, 600, 1000 to clean up the frames and finished with a coat of polish. We replaced ours because they were pretty crazed, we used a similar tinted Lexan which is much stronger than acrylic, our glass guy just cut them from the old acrylic. I laid a good bead of Boat Life Life seal (black because the windows were dark gray) on the inside of the frame, where the Lexan lies on the frame and fit it in, pushed it in place, gave it a good push and set some heavy items along the frame and let it dry. Then glazed the space between the edge of the Lexan and the frame at an angle. I used butyl tape around the outside frame, and in the screw holes as well one year and no leaks. Be careful if you use the black because it can be hard to see if you missed any spots as you are glazing the frame edge. Also check the plywood filler between the two fiberglass pieces for rot and fix that before reinstalling. Also we just used some heavy plastic tarp cut wider than the window frame and duct taped it on the outside. Did fine for the week it was covered. Here are some pics of the process. Just realized don't have any of the finished product in the boat. But you can see the result in the two finished ones.

Attachments

Clark

Jun 30, 2004
Hunter 280 Lake Guntersville, AL
Please note . . . he has a 280 (as do I) . . . the windshield and side windows do NOT have frames.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Please note . . . he has a 280 (as do I) . . . the windshield and side windows do NOT have frames.
Please note my response was addressed to Pateco, who has an '83 H31 (as do I) responding to his request for info.

Clark

Jun 30, 2004
Hunter 280 Lake Guntersville, AL
Please note my response was addressed to Pateco, who has an '83 H31 (as do I) responding to his request for info.
No worries HMT2; I just didn't want the OP to get confused about what to do to address his window issue.