Broken shaft strut?

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
MacGregor 25 Rock Hall, MD
A couple of weeks ago I became a proud owner of a 1972 Sabre 28 (hull #13). When I brought it in for the winter, we had to go into 2-foot waves and 15 kts wind; when I increased the throttle heading into the waves, I heard a rythmic thumping below. The thumping stopped when I decreased the throttle. A couple of days ago the boat was just hauled out for the winter; the yard called to informed me about it and, as an aside, they told me my cutlass bearing was lose and needed replacement. I checked it myself today, and it seems that it is not the bearing (less than 1/32 inch of free play) but rather the whole strut broke off. The strut appears to have been epoxied along the whole lenght, so I cannot see the metal, but I was able to push it up and down for a distance of about 1/4 to 1/2 inches. The outside (epoxy) did not move and only the part with the bearing and the shaft were moving in and out of the epoxy and creating the sound I've heard when sailing. I'm new to the inboard engines and, therefore, somewhat clueless in this regard, so I'd like some opinions on what I saw. Also, with the strut broken, would the boat move normally under power? The PO was extremely meticulous about the boat, and the engine was replaced only 3 years ago, so I cannot imagine he would not check it out himself during the engine installation...

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Congratulations on your new boat. I would call the po and ask about it. Sounds like you need a new strut. Some pictures would be helpful. Luckily it did not fall off. What marina are you in? I am at haven harbor. The mechanics and fiberglass guys there are super but you can do the job yourself. Can you see the strut mounting hardware from the inside?

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
Congratulations on your new boat. I would call the po and ask about it. Sounds like you need a new strut. Some pictures would be helpful. Luckily it did not fall off. What marina are you in? I am at haven harbor. The mechanics and fiberglass guys there are super but you can do the job yourself. Can you see the strut mounting hardware from the inside?
Thanks for the reply. I called Sabre Yachts. It's a common problem on early Sabres 28-1s and they have a procedure to fix it. Apparently, the strut does not have a "T" to attach it to the hull. It simlpy goes straight through the hull and is epoxied in. No structural bolts of any kind. In time, it loosens up and the procedure calls for adding more epoxy filler from the outside followed by fiberglass to strenghten/stiffen it in place. By the looks of it somebody already tried it and, in time, it loosen up again. So no need for a new strut (ufff...), just a lot of fiberglass.
Incidentally, we are neighbors - I'm in Spring Cove. I'm sure you've seen my son sailing Melges X-Boat around the Cove and now even venturing out on the Bay by himself...

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Good, sounds like a fairly easy fix. Is there a special procedure to keep the shaft aligned?
Yes I have seen your son. Always just outside the channel and always looking like he is enjoying himself.
What is the name of your boat? I'll be on the lookout for you.

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
It used to be Shady Lady, but we are going to rename it Re-Pete.