Sunday afternoon I got my boat out to the river, rigged up, and set out. About
300 yards out - TWANG! - down come the jib and both shrouds. I immediately
dropped the main, fearing dismasting with all that leverage on the now-unstayed
mast. Nobody around to give me a tow, so I paddled in, which was an enormous
chore with the boom, mainsail, jib, and shrouds in the cockpit with me and
trying to make headway against a good (would've been perfect!) breeze. I
usually inspect the fittings when I am rigging up, didn't look real closely at
the tang this time but I think I would have noticed anything major like missing
rivets. Seemed solid enough when I was hooking up the upper roller of the jib.

Seems like I've had an inordinate number of equipment failures and/or mishaps this summer: a broken rudder blade, centerboard on its last legs, heat exhaustion, unable to climb back in after capsize drill, and now the mast tang. I guess that's par for the course for an old, poorly maintained (by previous owners, I hasten to add) boat and an even older and more poorly maintained (by the owner, in this case, admittedly) skipper.

Feb 26, 2010
Hunter 15 Fremantle, Western Australia
I once had my vang explode in high winds. No indication that it was faulty before hand. Luckily I was close to shore and was able to get back to my clubs launching area without further mishap.

The loads on a boats' hardware can be enormous in high winds. Even for a small boat (I have a new Hunter 15).

The thing I am always concerned about is when I have attached a stainless steel fitting to my aluminium mast. The different metal types will cause corrosion if you don't coat the surfaces with the appropriate goo to seal the contact points between the two fittings. I hope the manufacturer did on the ones that are already there.

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
The homemade acrylic boom mount prior owner made for the boomkicker on Verboten failed explosively - luckily as I was coming back to the marina. I ordered the correct part from the boomkicker folks and we dodged the boom for a couple weeks until it got here.

r.oril

Oct 29, 2008
MacGregor 26D and Catalina 30 26 - 30 Lancaster, CA
Twang

I had just read your post and yesterday. I was on the lake and "TWANG", the starboard outside wire came loose. :eek:The keeper for the pin worked its way out and the pin came out. I was just turning down wind so I dropped the main and jib and motored to the nearest dock at the lake to repaired it. Lucky for me the PO gave me a big box of parts..
Note to self, check all pins before going out.:redface:
Sure glad I had setup the halyards to the cockpit just a few weeks ago.:dance:

Status
Not open for further replies.