Broken Mast on my San Juan 7.7

Jul 15, 2020
San juan 7.7 Edmonton
Hello all, I launched my boat on Saturday, an hour later, a speed boost hooked my mast with their tower and ripped it right off my boat, snapping the mast in two at the spreaders and twisting the pulpit as well as bending there pushpit fwd.

I'm having little luck with the other insurance company.

My question is, had anyone experience sleeving on the inside and getting it welded.

I was told today that it is a good way to go.

I thought I would have to get a new extrusion etc etc.

I hope someone can help as I'm at a loss.

Thank you.

• Wow
Oct 31, 2012
Hunter 2008 H25 Lake Wabamun
Hi Lee, Andre here.
If you have any pictures of the mast damage please post them. These folks may be able to provide better suggestions if they can see the damage.
Good to have met you today.
Cheers

Jul 15, 2020
San juan 7.7 Edmonton
Hi Lee, Andre here.
If you have any pictures of the mast damage please post them. These folks may be able to provide better suggestions if they can see the damage.
Good to have met you today.
Cheers
Hi Andre,

I'm just trying to navigate this forum I will do my best. nice to have met you too.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
If you have hull insurance, not just liability, file a claim with your insurance company let them fight the other guy's insurance company.

Sleeving a mast is a time honored practice if the mast is not too damaged. The sleeve will need to be strong enough offset the weak/broken portion of the mast. The sleeve goes inside the mast and the 2 parts are then riveted or screwed into the sleeve. Talk to a reputable rigger.

• Helpful
Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Heres a picture. This would be problematic to sleeve as the spreader attachment is right there.
SJRL2922.JPG

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
If the spar maker is still in business it might be helpful to contact them right after you contact your insurance company.

Jul 15, 2020
San juan 7.7 Edmonton
thank you all for replying. my insurance company says I will have to pay 1500 deductible. I'm trying to go after their insurance company

Jul 15, 2020
San juan 7.7 Edmonton
If the spar maker is still in business it might be helpful to contact them right after you contact your insurance company.
I was told by Stephen at sjsailboats that the mast vendor went out of business in there eighties

srimes

Jun 9, 2020
Macgregor 26D Brookings
My question is, had anyone experience sleeving on the inside and getting it welded.
No experience, but my gut reaction is HELL NO. Who said it was a good idea?
Even if it is done right the boat will be worth less when it's times to sell. Would you have bought it if it had a broken and mended mast? Get a quote from a reputable shop. What's the boat worth? It may be totaled, in which case you take the money and consider repairing the mast or fitting one from another boat. Or sell it cheap and find another.

Jul 15, 2020
San juan 7.7 Edmonton
If you have hull insurance, not just liability, file a claim with your insurance company let them fight the other guy's insurance company.

Sleeving a mast is a time honored practice if the mast is not too damaged. The sleeve will need to be strong enough offset the weak/broken portion of the mast. The sleeve goes inside the mast and the 2 parts are then riveted or screwed into the sleeve. Talk to a reputable rigger.
I'm in Edmonton Alberta, not sure how many reputable marine service centers there are around here. I have the number of a marine surveyor, I will call him tomorrow

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
I'm in Edmonton Alberta, not sure how many reputable marine service centers there are around here. I have the number of a marine surveyor, I will call him tomorrow
The answer to your question is, unfortunately, zero. We are on our own. Tread carefully. There's a guy on the south side who did all my stainless tig welding, and he's got a guy who is an absolute master welder, buuuuut, they are not engineers. They are welders. I'll share the contact info if you want it.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Welding might not be a good solution but a sleeve with rivets would work and is done on many masts, the problem will be where it is broken usually the splice is between the spreaders not at a spreader

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
As a former sailboat dealer working with many mast manufacturers, the answer to sleeping, you will need a sleeve that fits correctly into a damaged mast to either weld or river into place. I doubt that will happen. Secondly, you advised the damage is at the spreader bar issue and as pointed out, a lot of stresses do occur at that point. Therefore, the mast is not repairable. I suggest another mast and a friend of mine who made masts now retired concurs.

You say the mast mfg. is known and is out of business. Who was it? Can anyone identify? That would sure help. Pictures would help.

As for bow pulpit, it would sure help to post a photo of that. Meriachee is sending you a welding referral but make sure the person knows how to weld aluminum and stainless steel. I will tell you ordering from the US will be expensive.
Then there is an insurance claim. Not sure about Canadian law but was a claim filed and if you are not getting any satisfaction, is there a public office you can contact to see if the insurance carrier can get off there duffs and get them moving?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
On the insurance front, who's fault was this? Not sure it matters, just wondering. Were you sailing or motoring at the time?

Jul 15, 2020
San juan 7.7 Edmonton
As a former sailboat dealer working with many mast manufacturers, the answer to sleeping, you will need a sleeve that fits correctly into a damaged mast to either weld or river into place. I doubt that will happen. Secondly, you advised the damage is at the spreader bar issue and as pointed out, a lot of stresses do occur at that point. Therefore, the mast is not repairable. I suggest another mast and a friend of mine who made masts now retired concurs.

You say the mast mfg. is known and is out of business. Who was it? Can anyone identify? That would sure help. Pictures would help.

As for bow pulpit, it would sure help to post a photo of that. Meriachee is sending you a welding referral but make sure the person knows how to weld aluminum and stainless steel. I will tell you ordering from the US will be expensive.
Then there is an insurance claim. Not sure about Canadian law but was a claim filed and if you are not getting any satisfaction, is there a public office you can contact to see if the insurance carrier can get off there duffs and get them moving?
I'll work on a reply to you.......... thanks for an informative message.

Jul 15, 2020
San juan 7.7 Edmonton
On the insurance front, who's fault was this? Not sure it matters, just wondering. Were you sailing or motoring at the time?
my boat was in its slip with the mast parallel to the water. the speed boat driver was at fault.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
my boat was in its slip with the mast parallel to the water. the speed boat driver was at fault.
Gotcha, thanks. That makes a lot of difference.

Your insurance company should go after his, rather than tell you that you need to pay the deductible. Do you have an agent, or do you go direct?

Jul 15, 2020
San juan 7.7 Edmonton
Gotcha, thanks. That makes a lot of difference.
my insurance has told me the following- I can proceed in one of two ways, I can either file a claim with my insurance and pay the deductible or I can go after the speed boats insurance. doesn't seem right to me, I thought they would fight on my behalf.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
my insurance has told me the following- I can proceed in one of two ways, I can either file a claim with my insurance and pay the deductible or I can go after the speed boats insurance. doesn't seem right to me, I thought they would fight on my behalf.
Yes, it doesn't sound right, I agree. I'm not familiar with Canadian insurance practice, but my wife is a MA licensed insurance agent, and I can tell you that here that's not how it works.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Realistically speaking you should probably pay the $1,500 and get on with your season. If you go after the other company, I predict it will take a long time. Maybe you can settle with the other boat owner for the deductible, or sue him in what we call small claims court. He'll argue your mast was a hazard, there was no flag on it etc., if I understand this accident. Get it behind you.