Broken Lewmar Hinge Rivets

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
I have to repair the center hinge on our size 70 "ocean" Lewmar. This is the forward hatch that I replaced right after we bought our boat, 1n 1995. No problems until about a month ago until both large rivets that hold the hinge base to the frame/flange broke. After 20 years, it's a wee bit late to complain about Lewmar's QC.

I called Lewmar today and Josh, in their technical dept, tells me that I might need to remove that hatch to get at the hinge base and insert two new 5/16" rivets. That's one honkin' large sized rivet.

As an alternative (and I get the feeling that this was not the first or only time this question has come up....) he suggested driving an ss screw thru the frame holes, with a washer to hold the hinge base in place, into the structure beyond.
I our case this should work. On our particular boat the back (hidden side) of the hatch flange spigot is an inch of oak, bedded in epoxy.

I am posting up this little problem mostly out of curiosity, in case anyone else has had this problem, and found a simple solution.
FWIW: Note that the older "roll stop" Lewmar hatch hinges are not related to this particular problem.

Loren

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2015
Red Admiral 36 New Bern, NC
I had the rivets break on a Lewmar 20" x 20" hatch. I used tiny screws with lock nuts to hold the black "locking" piece in place.

They haven't moved or leaked yet - +6 years.

Doug