Broken Honda 2 Hp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
My long shaft Honda 2 Hp BF2D outboard has cracked it's extension case, right where the clamp holds the motor. It feels like some sort of cast alloy or aluminum. My question is, can it be welded back together and be stand up to the vibration? A new one is about $160.

image-1336194793.jpg

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Probably can be welded but that requires a very precise machining of the parts after the weld to get everything back to straight and true. Most likely would cost similar to a new part by the time all is done. in a nutshell, it can be done but to do it correctly so that the drive shaft still aligns as it should is tough. I would go for the new part..

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
I have had great success using a product called Alumiweld. It's an aluminum alloy rod that fuses to aluminum with relatively low heat. +/- 700* F from a simple propane torch. It's a DIY product that can be used to repair aluminum as long as you can get the mating parts clean it will work. I used it to repair an outboard motor head that had blown a dime size hole clear through the entire head. I figured the part was completely trash so I gave it a try just for fun. I was amazed by the results. The hole in the head was able to be completely filled. After it cooled, I ground the repair smooth. The repair was a complete success and the motor continued to work properly for many years thereafter.

http://www.alumiweld.com/index.html

If you follow the directions correctly, it should work. You need clean surfaces, the parts must be wired brushed with a stainless steel brush and don't use too much heat. It's worth a try. There are some videos posted on Youtube.com about Alumiweld which might be helpful to watch before you attempt this project on your motor. It's good to learn from other people's success and mistakes. :eek:

No product affiliation whatsoever.

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
I think I'll try alumiweld, nothing to loose really! The amazing thing is, the motor still runs great, just have to keep the clamp tight and not try to turn it.

Nov 13, 2011
Oday 23 New River Az
Take it to a weld shop and have it welded. Once you try using those crappy alloys it makes getting a real weld on it much more difficult. I could weld that with no problem.

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
I used Alumiweld rods and a high temp MAPP torch and got great results. I smoothed out the weld marks with my dremel tool then sanded and re-painted it. The key was grinding the crack into a V shape and using proper technique.

Jul 28, 2010
Boston Whaler Montauk New Orleans
What about using JB Weld? I've never used it for something like this, but they say it is used successfully on things like cracked engine blocks.

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
Winkfish said:
What about using JB Weld? I've never used it for something like this, but they say it is used successfully on things like cracked engine blocks.
I don't think JB would work given the crack ran around the entire lower case. Welding it worked for me, at least on this small 2 hp outboard. I'll take it apart after a few hours to inspect it. The weld is hidden under the clamp that holds the motor to the transom clamp.

image-2182342699.jpg

image-1238826289.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.