Broken Cable Railing

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
No. If you mean your life lines, the correct size cable swage fitting requires a special crimping tool in order to obtain a life saving crimp. Vice will not do the job. A cable break may also indicate the need to replace with new cable.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I have used these and they are fine!.. I lost a couple of lifelines during Hurricane Katrina and replaced them with the DIY Johnson fittings in 2005.. They are still perfect..

• Helpful
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Delawaredave Not sure about the conditions of the waters you sail or how challenging it might be to stay on your feet while the boat is sailing.

There are several ways to fasten/crimp the fittings on your "LifeLines". And the lines might be in multiple states of corrosion.

With all boat activities there are places you can save funds or you may have to spend funds. As the Captain of your boat you get to decide for your boat.

I sail in waters that can be peaceful like a lake or challenging to the point you want to "Dam the torpedoes" and head for the closest port to get off the water. I do not want my "life line" wires to fail in such a condition. So I required "machine" swaging of all terminal fittings and new stainless steel wire when I bought the boat. These replaced the vinyl covered wires that were cracked with just a tint of rust showing in a couple of places.

Best of luck.