Broadside docking protection

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
My new docking arrangement this season has me docking my boat broadside to a fixed dock. I don't particularly care for relying on large bumpers to keep me off the bulkhead and pilings. There seems to be a few manufacturers who offer variations of mooring whips. Anyone have opinions or first hand experience with those systems or other options to help protect the boat from dock rash?

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2008
Canadian Sailcraft CS27 Victoria B.C.
Fixed dock (pier?) or floating?

As far as I know mooring whips are for small boats. Use bumpers and learn how to tie the boat up effectively.

Where I live all boats tie alongside a floating dock.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
I attached fenders to the dock itself. They can't swing up on top of the dock as they are mounted horizontally and are out of the water which keeps them cleaner. Just one cheap option. The other thing I like: I don't need to deploy finders when I come into the slip as they are already there.

Ken

Jan 6, 2010
Ted,

In a perfect world, two tide poles with a jack line would be the hot setup. I do not know if this is possible for you but, I would not want wakes & waves bouncing my boat with just fenders holding her off the dock & poles. Plus as fenders get dirty, so will your hull.

I can't speak for mooring whips, as I've never asked anyone that uses them. I would assume that these work for smaller size boats & this may fare well for your 29. You just may need to dig for more info.

CR

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Can you be more specific on those "...few manufacturers who offer variations of mooring whips"?

Reason I ask is we don't know which ones you may have had in mind.

That said, in general they are made for smaller boats and the ones I've seen advertised all showed small powerboats. Your boat would be heavier and would have a deeper keel and, therefore, different behavior at a dock.

While the concept is great, if they were that applicable to sailboats, I'm sure many skippers here would already know about them and be jumping in here with both feet!!!:) [Some once said: "Don't ever test the water depth with both feet!"]

You mentioned "bulkheads and pilings," so it appears you don't have a floating dock. Is that true?

Fender boards then are the next reasonable conclusion.

Flat fenders are also a good solution because they don't ride up, twist and get the boat dirty.

Keeping whatever you use clean is obviously important. Over the years I've used everything ("boaty" stuff, acetone, etc.), but the most successful cleaner I've found for fenders which have picked up airborne and dock grime is "Paint Brush & Roller Cleaner" from Ace Hardware.

Good luck.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
"Don't ever test the water depth with both feet!"

I shall endeavor to remember and comply!!!!!!!

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Take a look at the Taylor Made Dock Bumpers. They come in sizes up to about 9 ft each. Not cheap but they really do the job.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
"Don't ever test the water depth with both feet!"

I shall endeavor to remember and comply!!!!!!!
I jumped off onto a stingray once. Fortunately he missed, but I went ass over tea kettle when he took off. Now I look first.

Jun 2, 2007
Beneteau First 375 Slidell, LA
Fender boards make the best of a bad situation, but the 'feet' can mar your topsides. Make them sturdier than you think you need. You can also try lining the sides of the pilings with old carpet.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Broadside docking

To clarify my original post and answer some of your collective questions.
The dock I'll be tying up to is fixed not floating.
The boat is 36 feet long, 11,500 displacement.
Some manufactures make mooring whips for this size boat.
Some models are available with pivoting whips which are a better alternative than fixed mounts for sailboats.
I'm trying avoid bumpers or fender-boards which over time will probably scratch the painted topsde finish.
Here are a few companies that I have been looking at.

www.dockingproducts.com/shop/whip-a-way-manual-swivel-mooring-whip/
http://www.dolphinmooringwhips.com/heavy_duty_mooring_whips.htm
http://www.mooringwhipsales.com/heavy-duty-mooring-whips.htm (Pivot-a-way model)
www.Slidemoor.com (completely different concept)