Bristol 38.8 Fresh Water Cooling System

Nov 25, 2021
Bristol 38.8 Davis Creek
I've just purchased a 1984 Bristol 38.8, and now I have some chores to do. She has the original Universal 5444 engine, and and an added Rariton electric water heater. I want to drain, flush and replace the internal coolant. While I've done this on other boats, this one is less straightforward. I find only one drain fitting, on the port side of the block. It doesn't look like it's been used much. Access to the engine top valve cover coolant cap is awkward and makes no allowance for pouring New coolant in. There is a red metal container just inside the deep locker on the starboard cockpit side, plumbed to a fitting on the engine top, and also to the water heater. This is also plumbed to the adjacent plastic overflow bottle. Both contain coolant. What is the purpose of this metal container? Is the engine block drain the only one? How is new coolant added after draining, through the metal container or somehow through the valve cover opening (which looks to require some kind of pump to lift the coolant into it)? What about the water heater hooked into this system?