Bristol 24

M

Member 131497

Here's the story:
Just went to west marine to inquire why tbe rigging shop hasnt call me regarding requested price on my forestay which is to work inside a Schaefer 500 system(the one been sent to the rigging shop is new, never used, BUT since it was hanging in the wrong position for so long while on the mast it kind of bended at the end right on top of the roller furler barrel)so... The employee took the order cannot find it in the computer, ect, ect, ect... So now without tbe cable (the one the store lost) im to guess the lenght.
Any advise on this will be greatly appreciated since im leaving now to Florida on Saturday to spend the holidays and tben to a marina in Ruskin Fl to work on the boat and float it.
Hope you guys are in better condition than me... God bless you'll!
C
20191217_154917.jpg
20191217_154917.jpg
20191217_154910.jpg
20191217_154749_HDR.jpg
20191217_154659.jpg
20191217_154650_HDR.jpg

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
I don’t know if this is the same boat as yours..... it’s the same hull but may have had a different rig.

According to my records, I worked on a Bristol 24 once upon a time. The forestay measured 3/16” diameter x 30.33’ length from pin to pin.

Don’t take that as gospel, because rigging changes from over the years and from boat to boat.

Good luck!

Judy B
Sailmaker

Last edited:
M

Member 131497

I don’t know if this is the same boat as yours..... it’s the same hull but may have had a different rig.

According to my records, I worked on a Bristol 24 once upon a time. The forestay measured 3/16” diameter x 30.33’ length from pin to pin.

Don’t take that as gospel, because rigging changes from over the years and from boat to boat.

Good luck!

Judy B
Sailmaker
Bless your heart!
... HAVE VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS

M

Member 131497

... This forum is the BOMB, so much accumulated knowledge, know how and good old camaraderie... to a certain degree it makes me feel somehow as when in the service back in the 80's.
C

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Sailboat data shows I (height of foretriangle) of 30.25’, and J (distance from mast to stem fitting) of 9.2’ . This would seem close to Dr. J’s measurement. Are you including space for a turnbuckle? That would allow for some “fudge” room on the exact length.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
Sailboat data shows I (height of foretriangle) of 30.25’, and J (distance from mast to stem fitting) of 9.2’ . This would seem close to Dr. J’s measurement. Are you including space for a turnbuckle? That would allow for some “fudge” room on the exact length.
The measurement I gave was from clevis pin to Clovis pin. From where it was pinned at the mast to where it was pinned To the chainplate on the bow. The measurement was taken for the purpose of installing a furler on the forestay.

I and J are measurements taken from the side view of an architects drawing. They don’t actually/technically define the two sides of a right triangle. We use the i and j to calculate an estimated sail area, but they are no good for calculating the length of the forestay.

Judy B
Sailmaker