Bristol 24 water tank

Mar 12, 2022
Bristol 24 Harpswell
I've been renovating the interior of my Bristol 24 all winter. I want to take out the water tank, clean it, replace the hose, and put the tank back. I just got the v-berth plywood unscrewed and tried to pry it up only to find that the outside edges of the water tank are fiberglassed to the bottom side of the v-berth plywood. Is this structural? Anyone know the best way to get the water tank of a Bristol 24 out? It seems crazy to me that there is no way to access the water tank to clean, inspect, replace the hose, etc.
Thanks for your help!
Pete

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
..........find that the outside edges of the water tank are fiberglassed to the bottom side of the v-berth plywood. Is this structural?
Likely not structural. It is possible the installer secured the tank to the hull with screws and glassed over it to mitigate a leak through the hull into the cabin. Suggest confirming that, remove the screws, epoxy the holes then glass over. Find a method to secure tank without screws into the hull such tie-down straps, etc.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2022
Bristol 24 Harpswell
Likely not structural. It is possible the installer secured the tank to the hull with screws and glassed over it to mitigate a leak through the hull into the cabin. Suggest confirming that, remove the screws, epoxy the holes then glass over. Find a method to secure tank without screws into the hull such tie-down straps, etc.
Than you, that makes sense. I may try to get a photo of it today and post as well. It kind of looks like they fiberglassed it to the plywood to hold it up off the floor. I may just cut a section of the plywood so I can acceess the hose for replacement and wash the tank in place.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Pete,
Welcome to SBO and congrats on your Bristol 24. She is known as a great Pocket Cruiser. With a heritage from the 1960's her design is a great combination of solid build and gunkhole exploration capability.
Quoted from Bluewater boats:​
"Hundreds were built in hand-laid fiberglass by Sailstar Boat Company and later Bristol Yachts in Rhode Island with a production run that spanned 17 years." The Bristol 24 Sailboat : Bluewaterboats.org

1647182558156.png

In that time of boat building, it is possible that the water tank was designed as a part of the V-Berth cabinetry. They would build a box then fiberglass the inside. Hose bibs would be added.

Best suggestion before tearing into the woodwork is to reach out to Bristol owners in your area and pick their brain. Or explore and do as little destructive deconstruction as you can. Follow the hoses to help you find the answer.

Mar 12, 2022
Bristol 24 Harpswell
Pete,
Welcome to SBO and congrats on your Bristol 24. She is known as a great Pocket Cruiser. With a heritage from the 1960's her design is a great combination of solid build and gunkhole exploration capability.
Quoted from Bluewater boats:​
"Hundreds were built in hand-laid fiberglass by Sailstar Boat Company and later Bristol Yachts in Rhode Island with a production run that spanned 17 years." The Bristol 24 Sailboat : Bluewaterboats.org

View attachment 203353

In that time of boat building, it is possible that the water tank was designed as a part of the V-Berth cabinetry. They would build a box then fiberglass the inside. Hose bibs would be added.

Best suggestion before tearing into the woodwork is to reach out to Bristol owners in your area and pick their brain. Or explore and do as little destructive deconstruction as you can. Follow the hoses to help you find the answer.
Thanks John. I appreciate the welcome! I had a blast on the Bristol 24 last summer doing some day sails. Looking forward to long trips this summer after I get her refit complete. She is a sturdy little pocket cruiser!

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll do some non-invasive exploring and seek out some Bristol owners in my area. I think I can make an access panel to the hose connection so I can replace that, clean the tank without removing it, and not have to do anything too invasive. I wanted to build a hatch so I could easily access the tank but that will probably be a future project.
Thanks!
Pete

Oct 22, 2014
Sometimes we do temporary fixes till we can do a permanent repair.

I’m in the middle of one today. The dorade box was identified as the last possible source of a water leak into the head. Nice day yesterday. I removed it and it is most likely the source of the problem. Little or no caulking. Rusting stainless screws. Cracked acrylic. Previous owner had fixed it. Not.

So I’m installing a quick patch in the last bit of warm non rainy weather that ends tonight. I’ll take the dorade home and clean it up. Then come back to the issue in spring.

Oct 22, 2014
As an example, here is the fix I fashioned today to address the big hole left when I removed the leaking dorade. It was clear I was not going to get the dorade serviced and back on the boat in a single day. So I will take the unit home and work on it. When finished, I can remove the patch and start again. It is the nature of old boat's. On the positive side, if the patch does not leak during the incoming storm, I will not be in a rush to fix the dorade and have the time to get it done the correct way. Secondly, should I get a chance to take the boat out for a sail, the patch should be fine.

1647206400702.jpeg

Mar 12, 2022
Bristol 24 Harpswell
As an example, here is the fix I fashioned today to address the big hole left when I removed the leaking dorade. It was clear I was not going to get the dorade serviced and back on the boat in a single day. So I will take the unit home and work on it. When finished, I can remove the patch and start again. It is the nature of old boat's. On the positive side, if the patch does not leak during the incoming storm, I will not be in a rush to fix the dorade and have the time to get it done the correct way. Secondly, should I get a chance to take the boat out for a sail, the patch should be fine.

View attachment 203365
Nice! what a good idea. I might do something similar with another repair I have going on. Thanks!

Mar 12, 2022
Bristol 24 Harpswell
It's maybe hard to see in this photo. I have the plywood pried up and I'm peeking in. You can see the hull (looks gross because I ripped the nasty carpet off and will clean up and paint), the plywood, the strip of fiberglass in the back, and the top of the water tank. It's hard to pry the board up any more because it is glassed to the tank.
Posting the photo, but I'll most likely leave it as I said before.

Attachments

Mar 12, 2022
Bristol 24 Harpswell
Update
I cut in and made an access panel so I can get to the hose connection to replace and to clean the tank. Leaving the tank fiberglassed in and the plywood v-birth as is for now. Thanks all for your replies.

Jan 10, 2018
Beneteau 331 Halifax
I have a B24 as well. I have heard that the tank was good if you hit something it would be an air tank....but I can't remember the source. To help with a collision.

I am replacing my port bulkhead and reinforcing the mast arch. Any advice?