Bristol 24 external chainplates and traveler install

Mar 12, 2022
Bristol 24 Harpswell
Hello,

Has anyone replaced bulkhead chainplates with external chainplates on a B24? Or added a traveler to a B24?
Would love to hear how it can be done and an recommendations!

Thanks,

Pete

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
replace bulkhead chainplates with external chainplates on a B24
I am guessing here that you find it difficult to pass by the shrouds as you move to the bow. It is not an easy project. There is a scientific reason the nautical designer placed the shrouds on the bulkheads instead of outside the boat. The location involves strength of the boat to handle the loads on the shrouds, the angle that the shrouds are to the hull and the fittings on the mast. All if this translates into how the boat will sail and manage the forces on the hull, mast, and the shrouds while sailing in one of your Maine Nor'easters.

If you are serious about this you should consult a Marine Engineer to examine the applied forces on the areas you want to locate the external chainplates

Or added a traveler to a B24?
I appears there are several models of mainsheet rigging when looking a Bristol 24's that are for sale in the Internet. How is your system configured?

Mar 12, 2022
Bristol 24 Harpswell
I am guessing here that you find it difficult to pass by the shrouds as you move to the bow. It is not an easy project. There is a scientific reason the nautical designer placed the shrouds on the bulkheads instead of outside the boat. The location involves strength of the boat to handle the loads on the shrouds, the angle that the shrouds are to the hull and the fittings on the mast. All if this translates into how the boat will sail and manage the forces on the hull, mast, and the shrouds while sailing in one of your Maine Nor'easters.

If you are serious about this you should consult a Marine Engineer to examine the applied forces on the areas you want to locate the external chainplates

I appears there are several models of mainsheet rigging when looking a Bristol 24's that are for sale in the Internet. How is your system configured?
Thanks for the reply @jssailem !
Good point about hull structure and consulting a marine engineer. I was looking to make the change because I thought it would be a better setup and I have to redo the bulkheads and chainplates anyways. I'll probably stick with the chainplate configuration due to time but I'll see if I can find a marine engineer to consult while I still have time to make the change.

My B24 is setup with the main sheet tackle and cleat on the starboard side and goes up to the boom and back down on to tackle on the port side, see attached photo. The cleat and block are on a swivel on the starboard side and there is a block on the port side. It creates a triangle that makes it hard to open and access the outboard motor hatch, especially when it is under tension. It also makes it so the main sheet is always controlled from the starboard side, even if I am on the port side on a port tack. The cleat and tackle don't work as well when I am on the port side on a port tack.

I am thinking, a traveler would centralize the main sheet control and allow the outboard well hatch to open and close with ease as well as offer more boom and sail control options.

Thanks,

Pete

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Ok
First you will need to decide where to locate the traveler. It seems the hatch is in the way. You have an advantage that the mainsheet is end of boom. The forces to control the boom are less and the boom can easily handle the connection of the mainsheet. Your present set up gives you a 3-1 power. I suspect that is adequate.

Moving the system "to where" is the key. What do you have in mind?

I am guessing you might be able to put a bridge traveler on the seats in front of the stern hatch. Not sure if that would conflict with the tiller. You would have to experiment. Garhauer Marine makes some travelers that are designed to bridge a gap - like from seat to seat. The seats give you a solid location to locate the bases and the backing plates to handle the stresses. I would contact them and describe your needs.
1672708875669.png

Harken would be my other suggestion.
You might find a resource right here at the SBO Shop.

Mar 12, 2022
Bristol 24 Harpswell
Ok
First you will need to decide where to locate the traveler. It seems the hatch is in the way. You have an advantage that the mainsheet is end of boom. The forces to control the boom are less and the boom can easily handle the connection of the mainsheet. Your present set up gives you a 3-1 power. I suspect that is adequate.

Moving the system "to where" is the key. What do you have in mind?

I am guessing you might be able to put a bridge traveler on the seats in front of the stern hatch. Not sure if that would conflict with the tiller. You would have to experiment. Garhauer Marine makes some travelers that are designed to bridge a gap - like from seat to seat. The seats give you a solid location to locate the bases and the backing plates to handle the stresses. I would contact them and describe your needs.
View attachment 211989

Harken would be my other suggestion.
You might find a resource right here at the SBO Shop.

Thanks @jssailem , thanks for the link and suggestions!
I am thinking of putting it between the benches at the very aft end of the cockpit, so it wouldn't be far from where the blocks are now but it would make things more functional and clear up access to the motor well. I can access below the benches and in the motor well to add whatever backing plates and reinforcement are needed for the traveler.

I'll contact Garhauer and Harkin and check the SBO Shop.

Thanks again!

Pete

DMSea

Mar 14, 2024
Bristol 24 Boston Harbor
We have a traveler on our B24. It's right where you were thinking of putting it (between the benches at the very aft end of the cockpit) I'll take a photo next time I'm on the boat.
We're also in the process of replacing the port side bulkhead/chain plates etc. Would love to hear how your repairs are coming along.