Bristol 22 Cockpit Drains

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAZ

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol Caravel 22 Rochester NY
I will be launching my Bristol 22 for the first time and have a question in regards to the transom cockpit drains. See attached image.
Are the drains well enough above the waterline?
Do I need to install scupper flaps?
I would appreciate any one with experience with Bristol 22 to comment.
100_2102.jpg
Thanks

Feb 13, 2012
Bristol Caravel 22 Newport
Hey Jaz, I recently purchased a 22 myself and I was told to use drain plugs just to be safe. There is a bristol owners group forum on Google that is a lot more active and I am very sure many more owners to help you out there ... Also, bristolowners.org is great place to get in touch with another owners as well. One question though, do you have pictures of the rigging, base of the mast, and running rigging I could use for reference to set up my boat. If you can direct message me the pictures or copy to thread ... Thank you so much and Happy sailing!!

-TMP

JAZ

Apr 20, 2012
Thanks for the reply. Im confused if you use drain plugs how will the cockpit drain?

I will see if i have any rigging pictures for you.

JAZ

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
The boat was designed, I am sure, to have the cockpit drains (scuppers) open at all times. If you plug the scuppers, then water will not drain out and for sure you want water to drain out if, you get knocked down where water comes into the cockpit, or so rain water does not accumulate in the cockpit. It is known as a self-draining cockpit and the boat won't sink if the cockpit drains are open while at the dock or mooring or sailing.

JAZ

Apr 20, 2012
Barnacle,

Makes perfect sense. What do you think about scupper ( flap ) valves just to keep a following sea sort of at bay?

Status
Not open for further replies.