Bringin in the sheaves

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
Has anyone replaced the sheaves at the base of their Z-Spar mast on an
O'Day 272?

How difficult is this and which sheave to order is the question? Patrick

Feb 22, 2010
Oday 322 Delaware River
I have a Z-Spar mast for my Oday 322, and I replaced the sheaves, one of which disintegrated and jammed the main halyard. They decompose over 30 years from UV light. I ordered new sheaves from US Spars. I measured the dimensions of the sheaves and told them the size and they sent replacements. I did it as a part of maintenance by having the mast unstepped (a fairly expensive proposition, but I replaced all the light fixtures and bulbs also at the same time).

In my mast the sheaves ride on a pin which drops into the mast aluminum casting from above in a slot. They are captive by a 'cap' casting which bolts onto the main casting to hold the assembly in place. See the pictures.

Regards,
Andre

Attachments

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I have a Z-Spar mast for my Oday 322, and I replaced the sheaves, one of which disintegrated and jammed the main halyard. They decompose over 30 years from UV light. I ordered new sheaves from US Spars. I measured the dimensions of the sheaves and told them the size and they sent replacements. I did it as a part of maintenance by having the mast unstepped (a fairly expensive proposition, but I replaced all the light fixtures and bulbs also at the same time).

In my mast the sheaves ride on a pin which drops into the mast aluminum casting from above in a slot. They are captive by a 'cap' casting which bolts onto the main casting to hold the assembly in place. See the pictures.

Regards,
Andre
Great no Andre.

2 questions:
1) do you have a spinnaker rigged up on your mast ? If so, do you have any photos of the arrangement?
2) can you send me the order info for the shelves you replaced? I have the same Z-Spar mast and may want to order the sheaves before dropping the mast.

Thanks,

Greg

Feb 22, 2010
Oday 322 Delaware River
Hi,
I dug out my order, it was back in 2012.
US Spars, Inc.
6320 NW 123rd Pl.
Gainesville, FL 32653

The part number is: 1618 the description is: Sheave 60x16x8 Delrin. There are four on top of the mast.
(Aft: main halyard, topping lift. Forward: Jib Halyard 1, Jib Halyard 2 (neither of which is used as I have a CDI furler).
You can see the 2018 parts catalog online, and the sheaves page is shown below.......

I don't have a spinnaker, though I do have a spinnaker bail to attach a block to. You can just see the spin bail at the top edge of the picture.

Screen Shot 02-01-19 at 11.11 AM.JPG
IMG_1469.JPG

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Thanks. My mast has the spinnaker bail, but also a strange roller (looks like an anchor roller) on a crane out the front of the mast where the PO has the spinnaker halyard. Doesn’t seem right, but have not taken the time to rig a block to the bail. Doesn’t seem like the halyard exits in the right place to run through a block on the bail.

IMG_3600.JPG

Greg