Bridgedeck

Apr 13, 2005
Beneteau Oceanis 50 Mediterranean
Since the bridgedeck I am replacing is missing, can someone tell me how your sill at the forward edge of the bridge deck connects to the deck or hull? I'm looking for the joinery detail on the beam at the aft end of the bridgedeck, Alden's plans refer to this as a seat beam. This one looks like it hangs on the carlin.
Also, are you happy with the effectiveness of the cockpit lid scuppers at keeping the water out?
Thanks.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
My bridge deck is like this....

It consists of a foundation of 3/4" plywood with the face grain running athwarthship. On top is a layer of 1" (3/4") teak boards, 3 or 4, also running athwartship.

This 1 1/2" bridgedeck "hangs" from the bottom of the cabin trunk back and the coamings. Screws which go through the 1 1/2" bridgedeck fasrten into the bottom of the cabin edge. The outer side are fastened the same way into the bottom of the coaming boards.

About 6 or so inches aft of the foward edge of the bridgdeck is a bullhead under each side deck which carries most of the weight. The aft end of the bridgedeck is held by the forward panel of the cockpit. It's quite simple even if I have made it sound complicated.

This leaves a dodgey area though. The forward edge of the bridgedeck relies on the combination of cabin side, coamings, side decks and cabin back for strength. There is no support from underneath forward of the bulkhead below.

I'm not so sure it's as sound as it should be. My boat (which looks original but may be altered at the factory) shows a settling of the forward area of the bridgedeck. This has resulted in a a seperation of the cabin back at the glue joint. I have added a small dutchemen to a previously installed and glued on of some years ago. I now notice it has settled alittle more. I think the hanging joint is slowly loosing it's fastening strength.

However, it's stood together well for 45 years. I intend this spring to do a re-bedding/fastening of all of the cockpit joint areas. I have the same loosening going on around the perimeter of this "hanging" joint(fastened into the bottom of the coaming all around). I will explore some adding some structure to the forward edge of the bridgedeck. I suspect, like Alden, I may find no better solution. I'll replace a few pieces by and large, I think I'll keep the cockpit in this original configuration.

The seat hatch cover scuppers will never be as tight as a fiberglass seat or a built up wooden hatch with deep recesses. I hope to improve them a bit with this refastening project. For my use, coastal cruising, they are adequate.