Bridge clearances in Florida

Oct 26, 2012
morgan 384 Tarpon springs
I'm trying to plan a cruise but i need to know bridge clearances just in case. I'm 52 feet above the water Morgan 384.
Going south , from Clearwater Fl

Jan 22, 2008
NorSea 27 Az., Doing the To-Do list
St nick,

Active captain in your friend! On line when you can, but best to download the app so you can run when no connection is available. Worked great for our last few trips in the La. to Fl. area.

Greg

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
St. Nick, no problem. All fixed bridges on the ICW are at least 62 feet or they are bascule bridges. Call the bridge tenders on VHF channel 09 for opening times.
Roland
s/v Fraulein II

Oct 26, 2012
morgan 384 Tarpon springs
i have seen a site that lists all the bridges

St. Nick, no problem. All fixed bridges on the ICW are at least 62 feet or they are bascule bridges. Call the bridge tenders on VHF channel 09 for opening times.
Roland
s/v Fraulein II
and there heights ! Any one know of such a site ?

Jan 22, 2008
NorSea 27 Az., Doing the To-Do list
and there heights ! Any one know of such a site ?
st nick,

As I said in my first post. Go to ActiveCaptain ( https://activecaptain.com/index.php ) and use the Interactive cruising guide" to see all the data you need. Just zoom in on your course to see the info. The red blocks are marinas, the green ones are anchorages, the blue ones are "local knowledge" and the yellow ones are hazards. If you are only interested in the bridges, they are the blue ones. You can check mark the other ones and only see blue.

Also, as I said, they have an app you can download to see the same data when no Internet connection is available.

Standard disclaimer, I am not connected with them, other than a user.

By the way, to see how we use it underway, you might want to see our short Youtube video we did on our coastal Navigation at ; https://youtu.be/LH7iGhAxQ5w

Greg

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
On the east coast.

On the east coast of Fl. Between Pensacola, and Pt. St. Joe on the ICW are some 50' bridges. The rest of the Fl. coast as far as I know are either over 60' are are bascule bridges. Most will have the clearance marked at the foot of the bridge.

JTulls

Dec 6, 2014
International 14 and J-Boat J80 San Diego
Check out the Navionics app -- the vertical heights are usually next to the bridge. Here's a screenshot of one of the bridges over to Clearwater Beach and I put a red arrow to show where the clearance is given (horizontal between columns and vertical off the water). Hope that helps!

Attachments

Dec 29, 2009
Hunter 380 Little Creek, Virginia Beach, VA
Be sure to keep up with the Notice to Mariners for the area you are transiting. The Notice will contain info about any abnormal closures or restrictions. I have encountered fixed bridges with dramatically reduced clearances due to maintenance, and have seen movable bridges out of commission due to car accidents, maintenance, etc.

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
The Tuttle bridge in Miami is 55 but it sounds like you will be ok. We skipped the entire ICW between Palm Beach(went out Lake Worth) and Miami to avoid over 20 draw bridges and to miss the Tuttle bridge. We are 58'.