Bribes and Forged Documents

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Is this a question of ethics, protecting yourself, or just trying to outsmart criminals?

I was recently watching an interview with Captain Fatty Goodlander and he was talking about a myriad of subjects; one of them being how to say "No" to bribery when cruising. He mentioned that he actually kept several copies of his ships registration so that when a corrupt official tried to hold those documents hostage (kept in a locked box until you pay my bribe), he could just say 'piss off' and leave. It sounded more like those documents were not just 'official' copies, they are actually forged copies or completely fabricated documents.
Using those kinds of documents to out smart would-be corrupt officials sounds like it comes with a certain amount of risk to yourself and your vessel I suppose. When do you even know the right time and place to 'deploy' forged documents? I guess the passing of local knowledge from one sailor to another (like in these forums) gives you a heads up as to what locations you will likely experience corruption.
Ethically... I have no problem with this. I have not cruised the world on my own vessel but I have been to many places with the military and seen corruption at every level. I personally would not loose any sleep over employing some of Fatty Goodlander's tactics. What are your thoughts and experiences? What kinds of personal risks do you expose yourself to when trying avoid victimization but at the same time breaking regulations or laws yourself?

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Not paying a bit of "baksheesh" (and it is most often a minor amount) will cause a lot more trouble than it is worth, IMO. Just pay and smile and be welcomed back and offered a cup of tea, thereafter.
As for 'forged' documents, if you are an American far from home, most likely you are sailing on a copy of your document scanned and sent to you online. That is in no way a legal document or even a legal copy. Yet, I've never, ever had any official anywhere take notice of this or even ask about it. Once, I left my real document in the Gun Creek customs office and just printed out a copy of the previous year's document, which worked just fine for the next few months, until renewal and another scanned copy arrived in my email.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Doesn't sounds like a plausible tactic in that you won't be allowed entry into the next port without exit doc from the previous one.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Doesn't sounds like a plausible tactic in that you won't be allowed entry into the next port without exit doc from the previous one.
Absolutely 100% plausible and factual. In fact, you could be detained and your boat confiscated. Remember, the EC is an economic community and all the members watch out for each other. Down here the only islands an outbound clearance is not necessary and actually sighted by an officer are the French Islands.
If you do not clear out of most Caribbean islands and try to come back one day, you will be in serious trouble. You may think that those boxes full of paperwork filling the immigration and customs offices' back rooms are a haven for lost papers, but they are not nearly as haphazard and in as much disarray as they seem. It took the Trinidad customs less than a minute to find my 3 month old inbound paperwork at checkout, and Chagauramas is a very busy commercial port. Immigration will search your passport for your entry and departure stamps unless you are a weekly visitor, as we are. For us, the nice ones don't even stamp the passport any more, trying to save us on the renewal, which we must now do instead of just adding pages.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Not paying a bit of "baksheesh" (and it is most often a minor amount) will cause a lot more trouble than it is worth, IMO.
While the practice will always irk me, I agree.

As a Canuckistaner expat down in MX said, "at least I can afford the corruption here."

capta

Jun 4, 2009
While the practice will always irk me, I agree.

As a Canuckistaner expat down in MX said, "at least I can afford the corruption here."
You know, I just think of it as a way to keep the fees low when visiting a place. If some of these countries actually had to pay their officials a living wage, then they would have to raise the cruising fees dramatically! Since I've learned to navigate this system in a way that I don't get gouged, it is a good system for me.
Do not go into the offices looking like a boat bum, smile, be nice, have your wife flirt and smile! Grouches get gouged.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
smile, be nice, have your wife flirt and smile!
That seems a bit dangerous. You have posted pictures of your wife. Attractive is just the beginning. If those customs folk knew of her skills with an engine... Man I think you might get locked up just so they could see her flirt and smile....

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
OK, now that actually made me laugh out loud!

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
It would really suck to get impounded for lack of giving a little gift...

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Andrew. That brings up memories.

ED60FD0B-1F83-49F7-94D2-8CB6D501A632.png
This is my neighborhood. You and your friends should show me some respect. You should let me wet my beak a little.