Brexit and Bonded Stores onboard.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Wha,...?

My Alden Challenger was 'finished' at the Poul Molich yard in Denmark in 1960-61. All the locker doors were fitted with finger hole pulls and spring latches that nicely secure them underway.

The exception are these two lockers built into the head of each pilot berth(outboard in photo).

Each has only a keyed lock. Not very handy which always made me curious as to their design.

Bonded stores?.jpg

Some years ago, Jeremy McGeary (on the old CSBB forum) thought he had an idea as to the origin of these locking lockers.

He's British and was engaged in the boat building industry in, likely, the 70's. He guessed the lockers were for "Bonded Ships Stores".

Bonded stores (I've found), on a vessel or aircraft, is a separate area or hold where goods that will require a duty or tax between countries, could be secured(customs sealed-inspected, documented), and presumably not to consume between countries as duty was not paid: Or held until offshore, etc.

I'm guessing this would have been used to secure spirits and tobacco especially during this pre-Eu era when duties were owed in various countries in Europe.

This still takes place (between various countries) but in the late 60's all duties between countries in the new EU were eliminated.

As the world waits for the Brexit, whatever form it will take, sailing across the English channel could soon put this complicated process back onboard boats.

Does anyone else have these locking holds or know about their function?

May 4, 2015
Tom, I have the same locks but also a finger hole pull above it, with the spring loaded latch. A variety of Single Malts live in one of them, but I don't have a key!
Merchant Ships today still have a bonded store for smokes and wine/beer/spirits, also referred to as the "Slop Chest" typically on American vessels. At various ports when Customs clears the vessel, the official will put a seal on the door to ensure it is not accessed.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Tom, I have the same locks but also a finger hole pull above it, with the spring loaded latch. A variety of Single Malts live in one of them, but I don't have a key!
Merchant Ships today still have a bonded store for smokes and wine/beer/spirits, also referred to as the "Slop Chest" typically on American vessels. At various ports when Customs clears the vessel, the official will put a seal on the door to ensure it is not accessed.
thanks, KP. I still have one key and have been meaning to see if it can be copied. The other was snapped off in the lockset but I was able to get it out.

My starboard locker has 4 bottle and a central glass (I assume) cut out. The one on port just has a high shelf so could also have been designed to carry several bottles.

I had a guy mention your above and in fact, they had a way to dismantle the back of the cabinet for entrance, so as not to not break the customs sticker.