brass

Dec 7, 2012
Kittiwake 23, Irwin 43 .. Indianapolis / indianatown, fl
hello all

this last fall I bought a (new to me) 1967 Kittiwake 23 sailboat.... my Kittiwake is a classic full keel Carl Alberg design sailboat... all the hardware on it is brass... as much as I would love to keep it all brass, I cannot seem to find parts for it... if i had a supply of the brass parts I needed I would keep her all original...

I have lots of sailboat parts from my last boat... so I am contemplating removing all the brass parts and installing new stainless and composite hardware on my boat...

the big thing I am asking is, does anyone know where there are some brass parts supplier for hardware... this is my last attempt at keeping her all original... in the spring I will start upgrading her

sincerely
Jess

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
hello all

this last fall I bought a (new to me) 1967 Kittiwake 23 sailboat.... my Kittiwake is a classic full keel Carl Alberg design sailboat... all the hardware on it is brass... as much as I would love to keep it all brass, I cannot seem to find parts for it... if i had a supply of the brass parts I needed I would keep her all original...

I have lots of sailboat parts from my last boat... so I am contemplating removing all the brass parts and installing new stainless and composite hardware on my boat...

the big thing I am asking is, does anyone know where there are some brass parts supplier for hardware... this is my last attempt at keeping her all original... in the spring I will start upgrading her

sincerely
Jess
try searching for bronze you will have better luck most marine grade hardware is made of bronze as brass will degrade very fast...

regards

woody

Nov 18, 2013
Oday 32 Ketch North Fort Myers, FL
Absolutely, bronze is what you're seeing on the original hardware. Try Newfound Metals for replacements. It'd be a shame to lose the character of the original hardware on your classic Kittywake.

Good luck, Darrell

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
hello all

sincerely
Jess
Spartan Bronze & Bristol Bronze are your friends..... There's also Traditional Marine but they ship out of Nova Scotia and the shipping can get steep if you are in the US...

Jan 1, 2014
Kenner Kittiwake 23 Beaver Lake
Hi Jess, As others said most of the hardware on a standard Kittiwake is bronze, although Kenner also sold hulls as kits and the kit owners could use whatever they wanted. BTW, Kenner boot legged the Kittiwake by slightly lengthening an Alberg designed South Coast Seacraft 23 hull to make the Kittiwake molds, so it is not strictly an Alberg design. Yours looks like a nice find, and a Kittiwake does make a good single hander with a little practice. Phil Warner Hull #212, Illusion

Attachments