"Brand New" O'day 25 owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPT

May 14, 2007
- - Ithaca NY
Just purchased my 2nd boat -an O'day 25 (1979)(my first boat was an O'day 20, but that was over 15 years ago)... I am starting to get butterflies! I have been going over the list of things I need to do to this beauty to really fix her up. She is in great shape - no noticable problems. I just want to add the comfort items: cockpit cushions, boom tent, bimini top, roller furling, etc. MY QUESTION: even though I have had a boat before, I consider myself a novice... is there advice out there as to what projects I should take on first ?(again, there is nothing wrong with the boat from a sailing perspective. I could just rig it and go.) She needs electrics added (i.e. depth, speed), wind indicator, stuff I mentioned above, oh, and I was thinking about adding reinforcement plates to all hardware (I read about that in another posting... I don't know anything about it, except that I want my boat to be in the best shape possible!). How hard are these projects I have mentioned? Is this something that someone (me), who has a decent grasp on common sense, can handle? ANY and ALL advice would be great. I am SO SO SO excited to be back in the world of sailing, and even more excited to be an O'day owner again! Thanks!

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
O'Day 25 Owner

Congratulations! The 25 is a great boat. I'm giving you a link to Practical Sailor. Click on to "Tools and Techniques", and you should find just about anything that pertains to maintenance and How to's. I still consider myself a neophyte in working on boats, but I do it because I enjoy doing it. I'm not afraid to cut a hole in it for a deck plate or compass or do anything on my boat that will personalize it and make it easy for me. If I can do it, you can do it. You'll learn and have fun while you do it. One of the most important things that I ever did on my boat was mount an autopilot. I'm so spoiled when it comes to this gadget. I'd rather have one of these than a GPS. They really free you up to relax or do something that needs doing without having to steer all the time. A good roller furler is something that is handy to have. I just installed one on my boat a couple of weeks ago, and tried it last Saturday, and I love it. Years ago, I installed a bow roller for my anchor, and "Man you can't beat them." I never had a decent container for my anchor line and I used to just let it stay piled on my forward deck, so I took an old milk crate, cut it down to about 4" spliced in some 1/2" rope handles and added two 1/2 Teak molding skids with non-skid rubber and it works great. I also added a rope board inside the cockpit seat hatch against the inside of the hull for hanging ropes and stuff. There are so many things that you can do to personalize your boat. The adjuster and knobs on the forward hatches on these O'Days are noted for seizing up. They can be freed. The plastic knobs can be pressed out and the drift pins that hold the bolts in place can be removed and freed up. I did mine, and it works just like new. A Bimini top would be nice to have, but in the mean time you could get a polytarp that you could attach lines to that could go over the boom. It could be tied to the mast and the end of the boom as well as the lifelines for those times when you're anchored in your favorite cove on a very hot day. Pick up a nice sun-shower that you can hang in the cockpit when you're on an overnighter. I do a lot of cooking on board my boat and two items that I'm always using on my Origo boat stove, is my Burton stove top grill, and an old Stanley Ovenette, stovetop oven circa 1950s. If you can't find one in a yard sale, a turbo cooker would work. I could go on and on, but these are the things that have always been important on my boat. At any rate though, the autopilot is number 1 with me. I wouldn't sail without one. Good luck! Joe

DPT

May 14, 2007
- - Ithaca NY
thanks

Thanks for the info,Joe. Any advice on stepping the mast? Its been YEARS since I did it last (on my O'day 20) - any tricks? Anything to watch out for?

T

Tom D

My first was the OD20 as well

Congratulations, you're gonna love it. As I have seen in previous posts, Joe, again, makes some very good points. I also consider myself a novice around boats but I'm a do-it-yourselfer around the house and not afraid to make holes in the boat. Think safety first though. Make sure that motor is in good working order. If you are that nervous about being on the water you and those you are sailing near, will appreciate the reassurance a reliable motor gives you. Rather than a poly-tarp, I use what's called Rip-Stop material for my boom tent. It is white in color, cool, thin but strong and light weight. I did a quick measurement of the area I wanted to cover - length of boom, width of boat then added about 3 feet to both. I installed grommets for strength and run bungies to the life lines. Works great. Fair winds Tom D OD25 Camelot

M

Mike

mast raising

The list of things you can add is longer than anybody's bank account. The bimini is nice. Problem is that the space between the main sheet and back stay is not much. think about putting a slit through which the back stay can run and extending it a bit out and down to give you meaningful shade in the cockpit. Raising the mast: You really need at least three strong backs. When I do mine I put the mast on the bow pulpit and line up the plate at the base of the mast. Put the forward pin in. attach the front and side stays. (Do you have triangular plates on the lower end of your side stays?) If you have the plates you can put the boom on and attach lines from the from the aft end of the boom tot he plates. This makes the boom stand up straight and not fall off to either side. Then you attach the main sheet and use it to help raise the mast. If not then have one guy with the back stay as the other two start near the bow and walk the mast up. Once its in place attach the back stay trying not to drop the pieces as they don't float. Keep in mind that once the mast is up and even witht he second pin in place the mast will wan't to move side to side. Much more than I would have thought. So if you do this in the water watch having all three lifting the mast b/c when its up and someone moves that mast is gonna get unweildy real quick. Move slowly and have extra hands. No big deal. Enjoy the boat. Mike

Jun 2, 2004
Oday 25 pittsburgh
DPT, drop it in the water and sail it.

This is my suggestion, sail it and as you feel the need for things, add them. I have added may things to both of the 25's I owned. I think you will layout your priority list fairy quickly. I modified the the first one for two years and the second one for, this is the forth year. I have a bad weather sunbrella full cover boom tent, a bimini of sunbrella ( I like to fish so my bimini stops at the back stay. That gives me room to fish) and a fair weather nylon boom tent that I can put up inconjunction with the bimini. The design of these should be concidered. I have three 1/2" diameter fiberglass rods that fit into pockets in my full boom tent. The boom tent is tied off with snaps on the end so that I can just clip them to the stanchions. If the wind pipes up, the fiberglass rods keep the boom tent tight. On my nylon boom tent, it is 9' long and just fits the boom. It is 10 ' wide with pockets for two of my 8' fiberglass rods. It is for lunch stops and quick sun cover over the compainionway. If you go to 25 O'day info, and click pictures, There are a few pictures of the full boom tent. I like tiller dampers (tamers) That was #1. I made my own. It allows you to move forward and raise the main and other things while single handed. I think you will like your boat. I have enjoyed and am still enjoying them ( two 25's in about 7 years now.) I raise my mast from the stern. I do it in the water with a crutch and use the main sheet to pull it up with a hand steadying the mast port to starboard. Have fun! r.w.landau

Oct 11, 2004
Oday 25 O'Day 25, Cutchogue, NY
O'Day 25 Mast Stepping

I'm beginning my third year with my 25. I have never had the triangular plates on my shrouds. I spoke to Rudy about them, and he felt they were not really necessary. I simply attach lines fron the boom to the lower turnbuckles using a shackle. It works the same way, and when I'm done I don't have these extra parts hanging off my rigging. Does anyone have snything to add to this? Does anyone feel that the traingular plates are really beneficial? Oh, I just ordered new standing rigging to replace my god only knows how old rigging, and I didn't have it made for the plates.

Oct 11, 2004
Oday 25 O'Day 25, Cutchogue, NY
O'Day 25 Mast Stepping

I'm beginning my third year with my 25. I have never had the triangular plates on my shrouds. I spoke to Rudy about them, and he felt they were not really necessary. I simply attach lines fron the boom to the lower turnbuckles using a shackle. It works the same way, and when I'm done I don't have these extra parts hanging off my rigging. Does anyone have snything to add to this? Does anyone feel that the traingular plates are really beneficial? Oh, I just ordered new standing rigging to replace my god only knows how old rigging, and I didn't have it made for the plates.

DPT

May 14, 2007
- - Ithaca NY
RE: My first was the OD20 as well

Hi Tom, Thanks for your input. Where would one purchase the Rip Stop you spoke of?

DPT

May 14, 2007
- - Ithaca NY
RE: My first was the OD20 as well

Hi Tom, Thanks for your input. Where would one purchase the Rip Stop you spoke of?

DPT

May 14, 2007
- - Ithaca NY
RE: mast raising

Mike, thanks for your input. I have triangular plates at the end of my side stays.... Not sure I understand what you meant when you talked about attaching lines from those plates to the boom - just use rope? I assume so, the object being that the boom stays straight (so you can use the mainsheet). Also, not sure I understand how to use the main sheet to help raise the mast. Joe, in a previous post, also gave that advice (thank you Joe!) but I was getting confused about ratios and line length, etc. Here is what I am thinking: The mast is on the bow pulpit with the base on the deck plate with one pin in. The boom attached to the mast (tied off on either side to the triangular side stay plates), the mainsheet attached to the boom (as in regular sailing/rigging) and also attached to the deck (again, in its normal position when sailing normally) and as 1 or 2 people walk the mast aft, someone is pulling in the main... is that correct? Maybe I am thinking to much! Like you said, "no big deal". I remember stepping my mast on my O'day 20 (about 15 years ago!) and I had NO idea what I was doing... and I did it with the help of one friend. I am sure I will figure it all out when it is laying out in front of me. You mentioned that the mast gets wobbly even with 2 pins in (how many pins are there?)... When does it get stable? I assume once all the stays are in place? Thank you (and everyone) for your input.

DPT

May 14, 2007
- - Ithaca NY
RE: mast raising

Mike, thanks for your input. I have triangular plates at the end of my side stays.... Not sure I understand what you meant when you talked about attaching lines from those plates to the boom - just use rope? I assume so, the object being that the boom stays straight (so you can use the mainsheet). Also, not sure I understand how to use the main sheet to help raise the mast. Joe, in a previous post, also gave that advice (thank you Joe!) but I was getting confused about ratios and line length, etc. Here is what I am thinking: The mast is on the bow pulpit with the base on the deck plate with one pin in. The boom attached to the mast (tied off on either side to the triangular side stay plates), the mainsheet attached to the boom (as in regular sailing/rigging) and also attached to the deck (again, in its normal position when sailing normally) and as 1 or 2 people walk the mast aft, someone is pulling in the main... is that correct? Maybe I am thinking to much! Like you said, "no big deal". I remember stepping my mast on my O'day 20 (about 15 years ago!) and I had NO idea what I was doing... and I did it with the help of one friend. I am sure I will figure it all out when it is laying out in front of me. You mentioned that the mast gets wobbly even with 2 pins in (how many pins are there?)... When does it get stable? I assume once all the stays are in place? Thank you (and everyone) for your input.

M

Mike

you got it

You don't even need heavy line there won't be any load on them they just keep the boom from flopping over to either side. Yes, using the main sheet to help raise the mast. BUT its tru that you can't have it set up as if for sailing unless you have a WHOLE LOT of main. Mine is normally 4 to 1. (Four sections of line between traveler and boom) with lots of extra. But I had to untie the knot at the bitter end of the main sheet and feed it through till it was 2 to 1. Even if its just one line from the end of the boom through the traveler it gives that person the chance to pull and they might even stand near the transom and hook the line around a cleat there if you have to stop for any reason. There are only two pins in the mast step. we put them both in. Until all stays are attached and snug that sucker will want to obey the laws of gravity and lie down. Its not that heavy its just LONG. Have help. Make sure everything is clear of snags. Go slow. It'll all work out. If not lay it down and start again. This is a great place to ask questions. Mike

M

Mike

you got it

You don't even need heavy line there won't be any load on them they just keep the boom from flopping over to either side. Yes, using the main sheet to help raise the mast. BUT its tru that you can't have it set up as if for sailing unless you have a WHOLE LOT of main. Mine is normally 4 to 1. (Four sections of line between traveler and boom) with lots of extra. But I had to untie the knot at the bitter end of the main sheet and feed it through till it was 2 to 1. Even if its just one line from the end of the boom through the traveler it gives that person the chance to pull and they might even stand near the transom and hook the line around a cleat there if you have to stop for any reason. There are only two pins in the mast step. we put them both in. Until all stays are attached and snug that sucker will want to obey the laws of gravity and lie down. Its not that heavy its just LONG. Have help. Make sure everything is clear of snags. Go slow. It'll all work out. If not lay it down and start again. This is a great place to ask questions. Mike

DPT

May 14, 2007
- - Ithaca NY
Thanks everyone

Thanks everyone, for all your advice. I think I got the mast stepping... bottom line I gotta get out and 'just do it'! Another question (I got a million of them, but got to start somewhere!): Bottom paint. I know nothing about it, except I need to do it! 1. how do I tell if the boat needs it? 2. What kind should I use? Are there types that are better then others? 3. What is the proceedure? I.e. sanding the hull (if so, how?)? are there primers involved or just several coats of 1 kind of paint? 4. How do you get to the parts of the boat that are sitting on the trailer supports/rollers? For that matter, how do you get to the swing keel? I suspect you'd need take the boat to a yard and hoist it up with a crane... I am trying to get away without doing that. Thanks for any advice. DPT

DPT

May 14, 2007
- - Ithaca NY
Thanks everyone

Thanks everyone, for all your advice. I think I got the mast stepping... bottom line I gotta get out and 'just do it'! Another question (I got a million of them, but got to start somewhere!): Bottom paint. I know nothing about it, except I need to do it! 1. how do I tell if the boat needs it? 2. What kind should I use? Are there types that are better then others? 3. What is the proceedure? I.e. sanding the hull (if so, how?)? are there primers involved or just several coats of 1 kind of paint? 4. How do you get to the parts of the boat that are sitting on the trailer supports/rollers? For that matter, how do you get to the swing keel? I suspect you'd need take the boat to a yard and hoist it up with a crane... I am trying to get away without doing that. Thanks for any advice. DPT

Status
Not open for further replies.