Bowmar Hatch Leaking

Mar 23, 2015
Catalina 22 MK-II Dillon, CO
Some pretty good rain storms have revealed a leak in the forward hatch of my Catalina 22. Looks like water is entering at the top (aft) section of the hatch. I noticed that the latching handles do not tighten the top very tightly and I do not see any obvious way to tighten them (screws are in all the way).
So, any suggestions on how to tighten further? Any suggestions on what I should do to "lubricate" the rubber seal to make sure it is sealing well? Figured I should do this before adding more sealant to the outside of the unit.
Thanks for the advice.
carlos

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
A photo with an arrow showing where the leak is occuring would be helpful.
Might require replacing the rubber seal or rebedding the entire hatch, There are several YouTube videos that address this repair.

Mar 23, 2015
Thanks for the video link and the spacer suggestion, guys. Gonna try these suggestions out next time I'm at the boat.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
I had a issue like this and found the knob was not the right one not,allowing it to crank down. The spacer did the trick.

Mar 23, 2015
anyone try to sand down the handle to make it shorter and hopefully crank down more tightly?

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
If the rubber seals are in good shape there should be no need to tighten the hatch much. Lubricants are used mostly to maintain the rubber flexible but once they dry up they do not work well to restore lost flexibility. Find the manufacturer of your hatch and see if they have replacements.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
I had a similar problem. I just replaced the gasket material. Bought it right here, going on two years and no leaks from either hatch. Plus you don’t have to dog it down very tightly.