Bow thrusters - how important are they, and at what length are they a must?

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
Before I did my own install back in 2014 on my 41DS, I investigated all possibilities for a more powerful BT than the Lewmar. I could not find any other tunnel installation that would fit and that would offer more power. As I have advised before, the room for the tunnel is extremely tight. Anything over the 6" tube diameter of the Lewmar tube I don't think will fit. Also I remember looking at the Vetus unit back then and it did not offer any advantage over the Lewmar. If there are new units being made now with more power that would fit, I would use it if it would fit.

Sep 11, 2011
Hunter 41AC Bayfield WI, Lake Superior
Thanks to all for the responses. I am just trying to get all my ducks lined up. If anyone finds a picture of the lip on a 41 I would love to see it.

Thanks again.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
"...at what length are they a must?"
Answer: at no length are they a must. This is proven by the fact that for most of the history of the world while people sailed they did not exist. Based on a friend's experience, I don't think the extra equipment and batteries are really worth it. I can imagine it might be less than convenient to get into a slip cross-wise to the current without them, but for me, I don't care to have the extra cost, complexity, weight, and maintenance.

I was surprised to hear that folks with 30 footers had them, or wanted them!

viper

Jul 31, 2016
Hunter 380 Cape Coral, Fl
300 years ago they did not have narrow boat slips and slips 80 ft opposite.

And the current from NC to N. Florida can run up to 6 knots ( 8 ft depth change)... w/o that I might agree....

But low powered boat thrusters will not help.. 7-8HP required even at 35-40 ft.

Regards,

Viper

Sep 11, 2011
Hunter 41AC Bayfield WI, Lake Superior
I am sorry if a desire to have a bow thruster makes me less of a SAILBOATER..... the apollo missions did not happen with wind only. I suspect that jviss has a GPS and not a sextant. Rant off......

Even when I have a crew, I am single handing. Technology is our friend. It does not mean that we are less capable, or less trained, it just means that we can do more with less. Luddites need not subscribe........

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I suspect that jviss has a GPS and not a sextant.
Actually, yes, I have a GPS, but I have a sextant, too (three of them, actually).

I get it, I get wanting a bow thruster. I was just answering the "must have" part. It doesn't make anyone less of a sailor.

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
When I bought my first single screw inboard, a C-270, the marina manager, an ex USCG chief, took me out on my new boat and showed me all about single screw inboards. I'll never forget it. Fwd, reverse, sideways..........wow. My thruster was a "boat show special ". Fun to play around with. But I have yet to have needed it. Even in a very tight marina. With the rocks in Gitche Gumme I would be a nervous mess with an appendage hanging below the bow.
Anyways....
Thank you Chief Chause'.

Last edited: