Bow thruster not working on 2015 Hunter Marlow 37

Pat T

Feb 15, 2009
Catalina 36MKII Waukegan, IL
Helping a friend tomorrow. His bow thruster not working when he launched this season. Was working last Fall . I asked if there was a CB (circuit breaker) and he said it was marked on the electrical panel but they did not put an actual CB there? I did a quick search and read of a 38 ft Hunter said his bow thruster was wired directly from the battery to the switch to the thruster and also no CB? I am hoping to maybe find an inline CB or maybe find something on the actual thruster? Hoping someone out there had the same issue. Thanks.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
Helping a friend tomorrow. His bow thruster not working when he launched this season. Was working last Fall . I asked if there was a CB (circuit breaker) and he said it was marked on the electrical panel but they did not put an actual CB there? I did a quick search and read of a 38 ft Hunter said his bow thruster was wired directly from the battery to the switch to the thruster and also no CB? I am hoping to maybe find an inline CB or maybe find something on the actual thruster? Hoping someone out there had the same issue. Thanks.
Check the battery voltage

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
There might be a fuse in the wiring somewhere rather than a breaker. That's how our Beneteau is anyway.

Pat T

Feb 15, 2009
I know voltage should be good as he replaced battery, thanks. And I will be bringing my meter!

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
First thing I'd check would be the grounds, but all crimp connectors are suspect after a long layup. As mentioned above, it is recommended to run the engine when using a thruster or windlass, no matter how new a battery is.

Feb 3, 2015
Marlow Hunter 37 Reefpoint Marina Racine, WI
There are a few “pop out” fuses on the side of the Nav Table seat, ie where the battery selector is. Our thruster is tied into one of them. You have to look close to tell the difference in the pop out phase.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
On our 41DS there is an isolator switch on the positive cable running to the thruster motor, the switch in mounted on the wall under the nav table. The fuses are under the cabin sole where your feet would rest under the nav table. I believe that his is a 300 Amp fuse. Seems to me that the load from a thruster would be too large for a CB ergo the need for a fuse.

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
At the bow thruster will be large red & yellow cables carrying battery current to the bow thruster motor. The red cable will be connected to a large relay. When the thruster switch is activated, this relay closes and sends power to the motor. If you jump the large terminals on this relay (the ones with the large cables) you will know if the problem is in the switch circuit or in the motor and or battery connection. As soon as you jump the large terminals, the motor should turn on. If is doesn't, and if the large cables are reading 12 volts, the problem is in the switch circuit. To test the switch circuit, when activated at the helm, you should hear the relay click as it closes.

Pat T

Feb 15, 2009
There was power at the thruster but just getting a clicking sound?