Bow Roller for Hunter 27?

May 11, 2014
Hunter 27 Traverse City
Has anyone installed a bow/anchor roller on their Hunter 27? Would love to see some photos of your installation. Apologies in advance if this is a topic already covered but I tried searching the forum to no avail. Thanks!

Jun 1, 2004
Hunter 26 Lake Pueblo Colorado
Not sure as to what the h27 bow looks like, but i built/attached a bow roller to our h26. I got tired of carrying our Delta anchor from the cockpit to the bow every time we anchor, it works great. I will take some pics this weekend. Thanks Chris

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I did years ago on a Cherubini 27 but unfortunately did not keep any pictures. I remember I had to remove the single center cleat and replace with two smaller cleats on each side farther back. I chose a roller base that was short of the indentation for the line in the anchor locker. I angled the assembly to the port side and made sure it had enough clearance from the roller furling drum. The hard part was drilling and installing the nuts in the support bolts. Once you make the holes epoxy the exposed wood to protect against water damage. I remember I had to dismantle the wood panel at the foot of the V-berth and squeeze my head into the forepeak to get some of the bolts. Use large washers as a backing plate. Also caulk the installation. At the end of the roller right before the indentation for the anchor locker I installed a chain lock to prevent the anchor from accidentally deploying. I changed anchor to a "Claw" to allow for clearance and it worked well as it outperformed the Danforth I had been using. I think I was not able to drill a hole where the base met the hull/deck so I installed just one bolt at the front and three others further back. Before you do anything measure to make sure you choose the proper roller base and then present it with the anchor in place to check for clearances (make sure you do not drop it in the water so tie a safety line). Once you have the perfect location draw where the holes to be drilled need to be and check on the inside of the cabin where they are going to come out. It was really one the best improvement jobs I did to the boat as it simplified greatly deploying and retrieving the anchor. If done with proportionally sized components (anchor and base) it will also look good.

Jun 1, 2004
Hunter 26 Lake Pueblo Colorado
Attached are some Pics of what we built for our h26. We anchor out just ablut every weekend during summer. Enjoy Chris

Attachments

May 11, 2014
Hunter 27 Traverse City
Thanks for the pictures and detailed responses. It certainly gives me some great ideas! Thanks for your time!

Jun 9, 2014
hunter 27 Palm beach
No Diana, it's very strong 3/4 inch thick starboard with a dolphin striker bolted to it. it puts the anchor a couple feet out front so not much chance of the anchor banging against the hull.

Jun 27, 2017
Hunter H26 Olympia
What did you use to attached the roller to the lip? It looks like a separate piece of steel.

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
OldTownH27 (1).jpg OldTownH27 (4).jpg OldTownH27 (7).jpg OldTownH27 (8).jpg Here are some that I took as reference for when I do mine. I think the roller is commercially available and I would assume it's bolted through underneath with either a plate or large fender washers (the owner wasn't there to ask). It's a squeeze to fit up under there, but doable.